Which area would you recommend

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Brownsheep1962
Tourist

Which area would you recommend

Postby Brownsheep1962 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 pm

My partner and I are coming to Andalucia in May with a view to exploring potential inland areas to live. Can I ask the resident experts where in there view should be on our itinerary and is there anywhere we should avoid.

Flexo
Resident

Re: Which area would you recommend

Postby Flexo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 pm

You have to judge for yourself. Each place is quite different, there is no typical andalucian culture really. I would say it is easier to get into city life than small town life, it is easier to get around with english in western Malaga than anywhere else. I would say Sevilla and Granada are more "real cities" than Malaga, and even though I would love to have my plants outdoors all winter without worrying I can't stand the traffic in Malaga. I also have the impression that there is far more riff-raff and jokers on the Costa del Sol. I avoid companies based in the Malaga province if I can because I feel I get ripped off too easily.

Brownsheep1962
Tourist

Postby Brownsheep1962 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Thank you, Seville and Granada are places we intend to spend a few days in.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 pm

In between Sevilla & Granada, more or less where the Malaga motorway joins the motorway between them, is Antequera, which is a historic city and in a very scenic area worth investigating :-) - I will send you a PM (private message)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:27 am

Drive directly north of Seville for an hour on the Ruta de la Plata. You will pass through the Sierra Morena and a very pretty Natural Park to reach Monesterio. This is a large town but retains all the charm of a long-established village. There are many places to stay and explore for a day or so. There is history, countryside, sierras, rivers, jamon and delicious food, wine, especially Tentudía in the blue bottle (wonderful), a range of restaurants, decent shopping, a good climate and excellent transport links to Seville (obviously) and the airport and to Mérida and beyond.

It's not in Andalucia but you wouldn't notice the difference. It is just inside Extremadura

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 pm

following on from Lavanda's suggestion, turn left to Aracena just south of the area she suggests - and explore the northern end of Huelva provincia. Easy route back to Sevilla, splendid gastronomy and scenery, some english folk about but not overcrowded, lovely villages to explore and friendly locals.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Well it would be eastern costa del sol for me. Western is where all the brits abroad places are. Not sure where Flexo is from in UK but it must be somewhere very quiet if the Malaga traffic is a big problem. Try inside the M25 any day of the week if you want to see gridlock.
Another thing Malaga has over Sevilla and the likes is it is not 45 degrees for 3 months of the year.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:17 pm

costakid wrote:Not sure where Flexo is from in UK but it must be somewhere very quiet if the Malaga traffic is a big problem. Try inside the M25 any day of the week if you want to see gridlock.
This is an example of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Sevilla has plenty of traffic too but less idiot drivers and less Russian drivers = no heart attacks.
costakid wrote:Another thing Malaga has over Sevilla and the likes is it is not 45 degrees for 3 months of the year.
This is a matter of taste. I find it much easier to adapt to 45C with low air humidity than 28C with high air humidity. It takes a few weeks, you need to learn to wear appropriate attire and drink a bit more water but the body will adapt to heat. However, it cannot adapt to high air humidity. If you don't have an african nose you are pretty screwed in Malaga during the summer.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 pm

It's difficult to recommend any specific area, everyone has a different idea about where 'heaven' is, but certainly I would suggest looking anywhere on the coast, mid inland and deeper inland, you will soon get the general picture.
We've lived in 7 different homes in 3 different provinces, loved them all for different reasons, but as I've been saying here for many years 'Nowhere is Perfect'.
I would suggest that it is better to concentrate on a couple of areas and spend time there, walking around at different times of the day, every day is different !
Happy Hunting,
Regards,
Gordon.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Not that many Russians in Malaga, they all go to Banus and Marbella. Malaga is a world apart but only 40kms down the road.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 pm

I bought a car the first month in Malaga. Had it for a year in Malaga and a year in Cordoba. When I sold it there was bump and scratch marks everywhere on it, even on places I couldn't comprehend someone would bump into it.

Last year I bought a new car, have been parked on the same street as my old car. The exterior is in mint condition, not a single mark on it. Of course this is a correlation/ anecdotal evidence but it is still a pretty significant correlation.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Thats because spanish people dont care about their cars and the exteriors or anyones elses for that matter. they dont buy new cars every five mins like brits or treasure them.they are a means of A-B nothing moreThe amount of marks we have on ours.a nice dent on the door from a p**** who decided to park as close to us as possible and swing their door open as hard as possible. I thought british people were bad for acting like sheep and trying to park as close to you as possible in an empty carpark. Marks on the bumpers from people who cant reverse park to save their life.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Always leave the handbrake off if on the level. It gives a bit of extra movement when they touch park.

Brownsheep1962
Tourist

Postby Brownsheep1962 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Thank you for your advice, I shall be doing my research on the areas you have suggested and definitely sampling the wine, lol. It's one thing seeing properties on the internet but we are really looking forward to getting a feel for different areas. I keep seeing properties that seem to good to be true and reading old posts on here feel we need to remain cautious but also open minded. I prefer town living to country. We have a very small budget approx 35k and don't mind some diy but nothing structural, wouldn't know where to begin! I don't think the coast would be an option for us on our budget hence we are looking inland. We are both 55 this year and can take a work pensions, this would give us a manageable income and seems so much more preferable than the rat race. Is it realistic to be able to buy something for our budget. Not too concerned about traffic we live in a busy area now, I have an old car now that has acquired many car park dents, hazards of daily parking for work.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Is that pounds or euros? I would say that is pretty small budget although a search up to 50,000 euros brings up a choice of village houses inland although many of them seem be in quite isolated areas.

https://www.kyero.com/en/andalucia-town ... =price_asc

Personally I would like to be reasonably close travelling distance to facilities. If, for instance, you have private health insurance where would the nearest Dr or hospital be that is covered by your treatment plan.

If you like to fly back to the UK regularly (or want to fly to other places for holidays) or have visitors from the UK, how easy is it to get to the airport and do they fly there from the local UK airport? The motorways are very good here, but I seem to remember a story from Lavanda (was it you??) in Extremadura and how it takes about 24 hours to get back to England due to the airport being so far away! I have lived 90 mins from an airport before and I found that a complete pain.

As is usual, most people usually recommend renting for a while in an area before buying, particularly if you have nowhere in mind. Have you visited Andalucia much before? These are only my own opinions, but 'where to live?' is a bit of a difficult question to answer as everybody seems to like different things :)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Your budget would go a looooooong way in Extremadura. Not so sure about Andalucia, though.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi,
Would go a long way up here in provincia de Jaén too..............looking at the link Wicksey posted.........know of some of these in my area .

Now Granada has Easyjet to Gatwick, and London City (BA)............has opened up this area like it used to be when Ryanair and Monarch were flying out of Granada back in the day when the Great British Pound was making 1.50€
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Brownsheep1962
Tourist

Postby Brownsheep1962 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Is that pounds or euros? I would say that is pretty small budget although a search up to 50,000 euros brings up a choice of village houses inland although many of them seem be in quite isolated areas.

It's pounds Wicksey

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:11 pm

One bit of advice, never rely on an airport like Granada because they get dropped by the airlines all the time. If it doesn’t pay they pull out. They never pull out go Malaga, Gibralter, Alicante and the big inland airports. It doesn’t matter where you live but be prepared to travel a bit further to an airport in winter months.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Martos, Rute, Castillo de Locubin, Olvera and Pruna have nice houses in your budget. But they don't have insulation or damp courses and are cold in winter