Long distance property transaction

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
mugball
Tourist

Long distance property transaction

Postby mugball » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Hello all, I am looking for some advice from those who have been there, done that!

My partner is Spanish and we are looking to buy a house in the village (inland, nearish to Sevilla) where her family is from as we visit often. We have viewed a suitable a couple of times on previous visits but estate agent has told us price is non negotiable so we have not taken it further. He has now got in touch to say vendor will take best offer for quick sale. Unfortunately we cannot travel now as OH is heavily pregnant!

Assuming we can agree a price which obviously can be done via phone/email, I am little nervous/unsure about how best to proceed after that to close the sale.

What pitfalls should we be on the look out for? Any info/advice greatly received, do's and don'ts?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Long distance property transaction

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

N..
Last edited by Pamela1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm

It quite often happens when a Brit or even a Spanish person shows interest in a property the vendor sticks his heals in and wont move on price..then when it all goes quiet and the interest wanes they panic and want to negociate...If you can travel alone for a few days then it would be for your own piece of mind..Other than that you could hire a solicitor local to the area to take care of everything for you...There are lots of do's and dont's and its a case of doing the best you can and reading as much as you can regarding buying a property in Spain. I wish you and your wife well in your up coming purchase..

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm

I would think your partner's family would be able to assist, especially with recommending solicitors etc ? In my opinion, the most important thing is to make sure the property is legal, which as it is in the village, is probably OK,
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Agree. Nothing like Spanish in negotiations and they are the best people to find out if there are any rumours re. property etc. Providing that you trust them.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Agree. Solicitor needs to check paperwork and if the seller is the real owner. Also agree take inlaws along every step of the way. Also if you give solicitor POA, still make sure your wife's family is included at every step

mugball
Tourist

Postby mugball » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Thanks all. Yes, realise we're lucky that wife's family are in the village re local recommendations etc. Trust them absolutely but I worry that they are too nice! i.e they don't like to be thought of as 'pesado'.

mugball
Tourist

Postby mugball » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Does anybody have a a link to a recommended step by step to the Spanish process. I've found a few on google but just wondered is there a resource that people here would recommend.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:39 am

Mugball, i can understand your post regarding your wifes family, hubbys family are much the same and while they are very valuable whem it comes to recomendations ie plumbers, electricians etc they are not as wise as some on here as regards to buying property or the pit falls etc.Most have had their homes yrs and are not accustomed to the process of how things are run nowadays, times have changed and most wouldnt even know about things such as an energy certificate...I think with a little help from them and lots of advise from a hopefully good lawyer it will keep you in good stead.There are lots of sites on line like Spanish property insight which are usefull and guide you through the process.

mugball
Tourist

Postby mugball » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Pamela1 wrote:..they are very valuable whem it comes to recomendations ie plumbers, electricians etc they are not as wise as some on here as regards to buying property or the pit falls etc.Most have had their homes yrs and are not accustomed to the process of how things are run nowadays, times have changed and most wouldnt even know about things such as an energy certificate....
Absolutely spot on!