Registering residence locally

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Registering residence locally

Postby Ricasso » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 am

We don't live in Spain full time but do we still need to register for the 'El Padrón' at the local Town Hall. We obviously have our NIE numbers etc. but should we (or do we have to), register ourselves living (albeit occasional), at our registered home address in the Ayuntamiento? Thanks!
Ricasso,
Axarquía

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Registering residence locally

Postby gerryh » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:39 am

Signing on at the Ayuntamiento is only required for full time residents.
In theory the Ayuntamiento shouldn't let you sign on if you are not a full time resident.
However some do let you as they get money from central government for everybody who is signed on.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Although theoretically there's no connection between registering on the padrón and the tax authorities...personally I wouldn't risk it, even if your town hall allow you (incorrectly) to register. You could potentially end up being classed as fiscally resident in Spain - and you really don't want to go down that road!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks. I have been warned about registering for residencia before.. re tax
Ricasso,
Axarquía

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Ony get residencia if you intend to reside here permanently.Or dont if you are like most of the brits living in spain illegally :shh:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Not registering as a tax resident could also have other implications once Brexit happens.
I have never believed that Spain will refuse residence for those who show the financial means to support themselves. However, certain things will change, not least bureaucracy so it might be better to do it now rather than later.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Seems from the latest brexit agreement reports that everyone will have to apply for settled status regardless of what type of residence staus they already have in spain

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Link please.

That sounds more like the situation that will apply in the UK, but they do not have an existing registration procedure like they have in Spain, where we already have a piece of paper granting us residency rights and in most cases permanent residency.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Sorry cid. Im not on my device at the mo so cant get on CAB spain facebook group as its members only. Its on there posted as an article near the top . Cant see it on the actual website if anyone whos a member can post or i'll do it when i get back in

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Much as I admire the work the CAB Spain does they have no official status and rely on information that is available to everyone if they look hard enough.

So, there is no certainty that their information is correct. Just this afternoon, the latest details of the Brexit transition terms were published and for some reason, the section about the rights of UK citizens in the EU seems to have been omitted!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 64631.html

As they have said, it’s not agreed until it all agreed.

Sid

Michka

Postby Michka » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:58 pm

We are looking at registering for residency, as we do plan to eventually move full time and, having observed residency issues over the years, one thing that I have learned as that they generally become more difficult and more expensive as time goes on!

I've been looking at http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/Inf ... cedimiento
but I'm not sure I follow it all. My Spanish is still very rudimentary, so relying on Google translate. Do you think we need a solicitor to take us through it? I've been through this before in another country and just took a friend, but don't know if Spain is more difficult. It looks to my like we just need to take our passports, house documents, bank statements, and something for medical insurance. It mentions the European health insurance card--does this mean that our EHIC cards will suffice for that requirement? And it mentions having documents translated--does this mean that we would need to have our British bank statements translated?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 pm

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faqs/residency/

The above should help you michka. Also depends on which office you apply at. Some have better reputations than others. Some can be very picky. I wouldnt pay someone to apply for you. You just fill in the form and take all your docs with you. The individual who you will see deals with residencia N.I.E etc so they know exactly what you want.

The EHIC shouldnt be excepted but as with spain ive read of people in the past getting excepted. But offically no you cant use it as once you are a resident your EHIC becomes invalid. Also read stories of them not excepting uk bank statements. They want to see spanish ones but not just a statement but an actual stamped certificate from your bank. Also i know of friends who were turned away with just their health policy paper they wanted a offical stamped letter confirming the health insurance

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks but that is seriously out of date information, September last year to be exact.

The story about a 85 page application for permanent status in the UK has already been changed.

There is plenty of information, which is up to date, from the UK government sites, in fact they will send you daily emails if you wish.

As I said earlier, much as I admire the efforts made by CAB. Spain to provide pertinent information to expats, in the case of Brexit, they are well behind.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Ref medical cover for residency, yes it varies from place to place. An EHIC is very likely to be rejected. In fact I know of many occasions where a proper private health insurance policy has been rejected as it did not cover pre-existing conditions or because it had a requirement to pay a small sum for each visit.

As for proof of financial security that varies from place to place. In theory they should accept nothing more than a credit card with sufficient unused credit! Ownership of a property has also been accepted by some forum members.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:10 am

El Cid wrote:Thanks but that is seriously out of date information, September last year to be exact.

The story about a 85 page application for permanent status in the UK has already been changed.

There is plenty of information, which is up to date, from the UK government sites, in fact they will send you daily emails if you wish.

As I said earlier, much as I admire the efforts made by CAB. Spain to provide pertinent information to expats, in the case of Brexit, they are well behind.

Sid

Yeah far enough cid. When i clicked on the link from the f.b page and saw it was from september it did seem abit odd as i thought it was new info aswell. But i guess the point was that if people in the uk will have to apply for settled status then as it will be reprocipal (sp) then the same will apply here. But yes very true nothings agreed till its agreed.personally its not something that bothers me as no point worrying about something you have no control over and i dont plan to be here forever anyway.

Agree re the co payments for health insurance. Ive read of people been refused aswell.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am

This is what the relevant paragraph in the transition agreement document says:-

"The host State may require Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals, their respective family members and other persons, residing in its territory in accordance with the conditions set out in this Title, to apply for a new residence status which confers the rights under this Title and a document evidencing such status which may be in a digital form."

It says they may require it, not that they will or will not require it, which means each member state has the choice whether to require this new residence status. I suppose we must wait for Spain to say whether it will or not. As Spain (unlike the UK) already requires EU citizens to register, hopefully not.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm

We did our residency last month. Handing in the forms at the police station In Torre del Mar. As we are both now 65, the health question was not a problem, just took our S1 forms from the DWP in Newcastle. If you are not over retirement age or are not entitled to use the Spanish health service, you will need to have private health insurance, the EHIC card will not suffice, (it only covers temporary stays in other european countries). As for proof of financial security, we presented our Nota Simple and receipt of payment for house, (to show we had paid for it fully and did not have a mortgage). If you do not have this you will need to show that sufficent funds are going into your Spanish bank every month to support you, we have seen a figure of 800 euro mentioned for this.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:01 pm

gerrynag, we had the same experience as you when registering for residencia at Torre del Mar police station. S1 accepted for health cover (we are pensioners) and a nota simple to prove there are no debts on our house accepted to show we would not be a financial liability in Spain. Glad you found it straightforward too - I think we are lucky here, as not all areas seem to be as accommodating.

Lindyloo53

Postby Lindyloo53 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 am

I would like to apply for residency to live in Alhama de Granada. I have been advised that I need to make an appointment on line for Granada but cannot find any link to do this. Can anyone assist. Thanks in advance.