Registering with the Padron

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Registering with the Padron

Postby niraig » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 am

Hi, I have been researching in a few posts here regarding registering with the Padron. I am however still unsure how we go about it. Hoping someone can let me know exactly what we need to take with us. Also if Private health insurance is required, where would the best place to get it. We are early retirees and have private UK pensions. We are going to be permanent residents. We have already got our NIE numbers. Hoping my request isn’t too long winded. Thanks

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Registering with the Padron

Postby Trooperman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:55 am

Don't confuse Residency with the Padron. The health care stuff will impinge on your ability to access the former whilst the Padron is the town hall's list of who lives in their village/town. For the padron, you'll need to go to the town hall with your escritura/rental agreement, NIE document and passports. The town hall should be amenable to helping you as part of their income derives from govt. subsidies based on a head count of people resident in their domain. There's loads of stuff about all this on A.com and I'm sure others will be along soon to give you some more info.
nil illegitimum carborundum

niraig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby niraig » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks Trooperman. We know where the Padron office is so will register there. So the next big question then is probably the hard one, applying for residency. I’ll have a look on the forum but any pointers would be great. Cheers

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Well, again, there are others here who may be more up-to-date with their information, but as I recall, from many years ago, the application for residency is done at the National Police Offices which will be in a major town near where you'll be living. (Mine was in Ronda - my area's administrative centre. If you're east of Malaga, you'll have to ask someone else where it is - Velez Malaga maybe? I don't know.) Things have changed a bit since I went through the process and I believe it's true that what constitutes correct information and definitive documentation will vary between offices and officials. In reality, "definitive" it ain't!
You should have some indication of your ability to support yourselves without becoming a burden on the state: pension income statements; other income streams etc. You will also, in the absence of any right to access the Andalucian health service (early retirees will not get an S1 form from Newcastle), have to similarly show that you will not become a burden in that regard. So, insurance would cover that aspect. Apart from that, it's the usual suspects when it comes to documents.......and photos were needed when I did it.
nil illegitimum carborundum

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Re getting residencia it varies depending on where you apply interms of how easy or hard it is to get. .best thing is to go where you will apply and ask for info on what they want.they normally have a fact sheet with what they require.

Theres the health issue where you will need private insurance if you are retired but not an o.a.p. you need to make sure you can use the policy for your application as some have been refused if the policy has co payments or if you pay monthly instead of paying for a year upfront.

Income. Some will accept a lump sum in the bank some want pension docs.some can be really OTT and want docs translated into spanish. Theres no set rule all depends on who you see on the day. Best to find out first what the office you will apply at require and go from there.

Also have a look on citizens advice spain they have a fact sheet with info

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:32 pm

We got our Residencia in February this year, (at Police Station In Torre del Mar). It opens at 8.30, (if I remember correctly), but best to get there earlier as a queue forms and there are only a limited number of people they will see, (they give you a ticket when you go in).

This is a list of stuff you need:-

Completed EX18 form + Copy

TASA form (790-012), which needs to be stamped at bank to show you have paid fee, best do this day before.

NIE + Copy

Empadronamiento certificate, (make sure it says certicate on it and has been issued in previous 3 months)

Passport + Copy

Proof of Health cover, (we are over 65, so took S1 form)

Proof of finances, (we took our Nota Simple showing we owned our house and receipt of payment for it, but Spanish bank account statement showing your pension going in for last few months and healthy balance should be ok)

Sounds a bit of a pain, but not as bad as it seems. You wait for your ticket number to be displayed on screen and then go to desk present all your documentation and if its ok, they give you the card there and then. It should not take more than about 45 minutes or so. The card is only cardboard so we got it laminated at local shop, to protect it.
As its Spain, Make sure you have copies of everything.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:45 pm

What?! No photos?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Correct......no photos.
The Residencia card does not have a photo on it anymore.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Well that depends!

A few years ago I decided to “upgrade” my original registration certificate to a “permanent” one. My local police office is in Motril, so I asked on the forum whether anyone had registered there recently and did they require photos.

The answer was that a few days previously the member had not been asked for photos. When I turned up a couple of days later I was asked for photos!

They are completely wrong on this point but some of them still think they are processing residency cards. I would not have been at all surprised if they had asked for fingerprints!

The moral is, always be prepared for the unexpected, carry a stock of different sized photos wherever you apply and copy everything at least twice. If you own a dog, make sure you have a copy of his pet passport!

Cynical Sid

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Probably depends on the office. Certainly at Torre del Mar you don't need photos. Why would you, if they don't have photo on card.You do however need a copy of your passport, which does have your photo on it, as well as the actual passport. But, no harm in taking photos with you, though if they need them...they will probably be the wrong size.... :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Don’t bring logic into this! It! These disfunctionariors just invent the rules as they go along.

As I pointed out, it can vary between the individuals in the same office,

Just because they didn’t ask you for photos is no guarantee that if you went again the next day that the person behind the desk would not ask you for photos.

The same applies across all the “official” offices that you may have to experience such as social security, the tax office the police and any other government department. They all have well paid “jobs for life” and are totally uninterested in providing consistent customer service.

You may be lucky, and I can provide many examples of that from others and myself but on the other hand I have a load of horror stories, all from people with first hand experience. The systems that they use such as the excellent appointment systems in all the departments are first class but ultimately it is the attitude of the guy in front of you on the day that counts.

Just be prepared for the worst and you will have fewer problems.

It is always worth dragging out this brilliant video to make the point.

https://youtu.be/2wtbQUaC9mE

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 pm

To amplify, same office ten years ago, copy of passport AND two passport photos needed, "go to my brother's photo shop next door"

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:46 pm

That was 10 years ago, I went two months ago. Maybe things have changed ? :wtf:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe they have but I doubt it. Your experience was fine as was mine, not everyone will have shared your experience.

Sid

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Silly argument about the photos, as I said before take the photos, though you probably won't need them. The important thing is to take the documentaion that I listed. I am not sure when El Cid applied for his residencia, but guessing quite a few years ago, things have certainly changed since then. At the end of the day the worse then can happen is that they send you away and you have to come back another day with slightly different documents. I did a fair bit of research before I applied for my residencia and as I said it was very straight forward. Lets try not to be so negative and assume a more positive attitude.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am

From what I have heard things have not improved, quite the opposite. They are now tightening up the rules about medical insurance for instance. I know of cases where they have refused to accept a policy because it requires a small copayment for each visit - a very common condition of many policies. They have also insisted on the policy not having any exclusions for preexisting conditions. That could be a show stopper for many people.

They used to accept the ownership of property as sufficient financial means - again this has been refused in some areas. I could go on. My point is that just because one person has a good experience in one area, it does not follow that another in a different area will have the same experience.

I am not being negative, I am being realistic. In Spain, it is better to prepare for the worst case scenario rather than assume it will all go to plan.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

I agree its a total luck of the draw. After reading up on things we expected it to be difficult as im the type of person where if it can go wrong it will go wrong for me. But other than been to late to get a ticket the first time we turned up everything went incredibly smoothly.although S1's were used and a very large amount of euros had been placed into our spanish account so it was a pretty box standard application.

It very much depends on whos sat infront of you.we were lucky,a very young girl who prob wasnt all bitter and twisted yet! and wanted to get things done asap.it also doesnt hurt to go in there with a smile and a buenos.attitude is alot on all sides when it comes to customer services. Its not much different than the uk.pen pushes waiting to take their nice pension at 50 going through the motions

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 am

Time for another viewing of this, I think...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtbQUaC9mE

:thumbup:
Chris