Prefab/modular/eco homes

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Greendreams
Tourist

Prefab/modular/eco homes

Postby Greendreams » Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi all, I'm curious if anyone here has built a prefab or modular eco home off the grid? Would love to hear your experiences! Any companies you recommend checking out for these homes? Thanks so much!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Prefab/modular/eco homes

Postby El Cid » Sat May 12, 2018 3:54 pm

First check the planning rules at your local town hall. It could be very difficult to get a building licence for something like that, especially if it is not in an urban area.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat May 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Practically impossible I reckon Sid, I have a friend who's been trying for two years to rebuild a slightly modified traditional Finca, almost the same but with some slight modifications, he's been fighting them for two years now.
even if one were lucky enough to get it passed there's always the danger that somewhere down the line some council official will come along and declare it illegal, could the original poster tell us the reason for wanting to build something like this ??

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun May 13, 2018 9:08 pm

I have heard of a modular home being built here in Huelva provincia, on the outskirts of town, I believe - the glazing company we were in contact with were chatting about the windows they had to design and put into what seemed to be something like Containers (like you see on the back of a lorry) with holes cut out, and then sections welded together to make a designer home ... not sure it would do for her indoors - cant imagine it can be very cozy in winter, and surely like an oven in summer??!!

Greendreams
Tourist

Postby Greendreams » Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks all. I'm interested in a modular eco home, self sustaining/no carbon footprint, etc. But I have indeed been reading about tough legislation to get anything built. Not sure why they make it so hard to build on private land. Anyway, I'll do some more research.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Should not be impossible in zonas rusticas if you provide with the funds for eventual destruction costs and such. As I understand it the town hall does not like rural developments because of community legal commitments, if you build on a rural plot then they will be forced to cover certain costs if you do not fulfill all your legal requirements such as septic tanks and garbage disposal. Even if you are a responsible adult you might move away from the property and a new, more problematic tenant might move in.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 pm

There is a programme available on bbc iplayer of amazing Spanish homes. One was 11 hideous rusty metal containers linked by a corridor.

Of course money and famous architect talks. I wouldnt have been able to get permission for it but theni am not a famous architect or rich.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm

I recal a Spain when people just built anything and anywhere without a thought to anything or anyone!...35yrs ago my MIL lost her battle with her neighbours building project, they built an extension a foot within her bedroom window, i remember looking at nothing but a brick wall and as fast as she took a pole to it to knock the part down which covered her window they built it back up again...I couldnt beleive how they could just get away with building straight in front of her window...Having said that i now think it has gone from one extreme to another...people serm to be so restricted in anything they attempt to do...If anyone here in the Uk wanted to put up a tent in their back yard they would just go ahead and do it and they do...The worst that could happen is they could be asked to take it down.....People do seem to stress very much over what they can or cant do, the town halls must have ques a mile long...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 am

Greendreams wrote: Not sure why they make it so hard to build on private land.
I should think it's the same in many countries, it certainly is in the UK. You can own a piece of land but that doesn't give you the right to build on it.

Greendreams
Tourist

Postby Greendreams » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Hmm well this makes me quite wary of going for something like this... perhaps buying an existing property would be a safer bet.

Yes, seen that programme on the BBC! So wonderful! So envious...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Greendreams wrote: Not sure why they make it so hard to build on private land. .
The fact that it is private land is not the issue. Land in Spain can be simply defined as Urban land (in towns), rustic or “Campo” land or protected land.

Building on urban land is regulated by an approved urban plan, PGOU, submitted by the local town hall to the regional planners and if approved that defines exactly what can be built within the local urban area. This is where 95% of all builds are located.

Non urban land outside these areas is also controlled and in recent years, since about 2000, is now very difficult to obtain permission to build on. In most areas, particularly in Andalucia, you will need a considerable amount of land, typically 30000m2 and need to prove that your intention is to build a house associated with a productive agricultural business. Unless incorporated in an existing PGOU it will be controlled and approved by the regional authorities and such approvals are now very rare..

There are some circumstances where it can be easier such as the renovation of an existing property. In the past any old ruin could be reformed, but now, unless it is intact with a roof, there is no chance of getting permission to reform it and even if you do it must be exactly to the original footprint.

Building on protected land will almost certainly result in a huge fine and demolition and possibly a prison sentence.

The reasons behind these controls is to prevent the countryside being covered in a mess of unregulated buildings. Sadly this has already happened in many areas, but that cannot happen any more.

Compare this with the Green Belt restrictions in the UK and you can see that it is very similar and for exactly the same reasons.

If you want a house in the country, there are many available. Some are legal, many are not, but that is almost the only way to get one now. Many of the older illegal developments (possibly as many as 300000 in Andalucia alone) are slowly being legalised but new builds are almost out of the question.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Read the story of John and Jacky Brooks who actually had their house demolished by the authorities after falling foul of the planning laws !!

Greendreams
Tourist

Postby Greendreams » Fri May 18, 2018 7:14 am

Great info, Sid, thanks so much!