New to Spain. Where to find apartment?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
labella
Tourist

New to Spain. Where to find apartment?

Postby labella » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:56 am

Hello! I will be moving to Spain for a few months for temporary work. I will stay for the first two months in Andalucia (Particularly Seville) and 9 months in Madrid. Do you know where I can get an apartment for 9 months minimum only? What are good and legitimate websites/apps to look for an apartment online specifically in Madrid or Spain in general?

Also, what do you think are the general requirements for a tenant in Spain? Do I pay by bank deposit, cash, cheque?

I already booked an Airbnb for my two months in Andalucia since I don't think anyone will accept 2 months rent only.

Thank you!
Last edited by labella on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

1bassleft
Resident

Re: New to Spain. Where to find apartment?

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:58 am

I suppose you've looked at websites for Madrid apartments? I'm not sure if anyone here has long-term let experience of Madrid. Although there is a disadvantage to leaving it late, I wonder if you might be better off looking (or checking your short-list) once you have got to Sevilla? As mentioned in your other thread, the train is quick and would allow you to see candidate apartments for yourself. Google "Expat Madrid" and you might find advice, or a forum to join, with more in-depth experience. A bank transfer or cash will be accepted but a cheque from an unfamiliar bank might be viewed with suspicion. I would suggest that you see a rental agreement before handing over money, to protect your rights. There are probably threads here about rental agreements that would apply equally to Madrid.

EDIT: Of course, I would be wary of paying the entire 9 months upfront in cash, transfer or anything. I know people in my neighbourhood who pay their rent in cash every month, and have done so for years. Whether that's their convenience or the property owner's - I never ask. Proper agreements with reputable agencies would be safest. If you were swindled, the legal process for getting your money back can work extremely slowly in Spain.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Imo Never pay the full amount upfront

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Yes, I agree. I suddenly realized that you're enquiring from Singapore (I have no idea what the standard practice is in Singapore) and hastily wrote an edit.

It would be highly unusual to be asked to pay for your full intended stay in advance for that duration and I would look elsewhere if asked - to clarify my previous post. Paying personally in cash, each month, is something that I would consider dubious back in the UK but neighbours I know of here have been doing it regularly with no problems.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:24 am

Alot of people pay in cash here.sometimes its dodgy sometimes legit.spain is very much a cash society. If you pay in cash make sure you get a reciept book and have them sign it to prove payment

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:48 am

idealista, fotocasa, enaquiler, kyero, tucasa, spainhouses, yourpropertyinspain, viva... loads of places to find apartments.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

labella
Tourist

Postby labella » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:19 am

Thank you all for your advice. I have read more about the renting process in Spain now and lots of people say never to pay without looking at the apartment first. Decided to book for Airbnb in Madrid as well for 10 days and hopefully find an apartment to move in within that short period of time. Also went to the websites someone has suggested on here and already bookmarked the ones I'll check out once I get there.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:50 am

While you are in Sevilla for two months, the train is quick and not very expensive. You could earmark some time for reconnaissance so that you do not necessarily have to accept what is available at short notice.