Pensioners moving to Spain - where to start?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Pensioners moving to Spain - where to start?

Postby fyfin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:43 pm

I have a couple who we have been friends with for a long time who are thinking about moving to Andalucia and have spent a few months on and off already. They are both pensioners and have small private pensions as well and own a house in UK.
I've explained what I think they need to do and to do it quickly as Brexit may cause a problem. I just wondered if anyone could see if I have it right as regards sequence of things to do.
I think that firstly they should each get their Nie and as far as I know that should be fairly simple.
Then open a Spanish bank account.
Then contact DWP to get S1 and the legislation letter.
To register on padron, which is probably next, I think they will need a rental contract (at the minute they're staying in our apartment - no contract and only paying us what it's costing us). We don't really want to rent it long term but I suppose we could have a contract drawn up if it helped.
Then, when S1 s are received I think they could register on the Spanish Health system here using the padron as evidence of residency. I know someone here who did that so it does work in Almeria, or at least in our town.
Next I suppose would be to register at the Oficina de Extranjeros in Almeria armed with all the usual documents, especially proof of income suitably translated. I think they might have enough for each to register separately so no need to worry about marriage certificate.
It may even be that they have left it too late anyway as they are still trying to make their minds up, but I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts in case I have missed anything or got it in the wrong order.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Gasman
Resident

Re: Pensioners moving to Spain - where to start?

Postby Gasman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:27 pm

1 Apply to Newcastle for S1 and also then apply for EHIC from UK, explaining that they are moving to Spain
2 While here in Spain, fill in the forms for Registration as Etrangeros but EU citizens, on line, and make Cita Previa for Almeria.
3 Go to the Cita Previa, with all the documents they can lay their hands on.
4 Once registered, which will also give them their NIE number, they go to the INSS in Almeria to sign on for Social Security, which will then lead them on to going to the Centro Salud, where they hand over documents from INSS to apply for their Medical Card, and a temporary form in case they need health care straight away.
also
4 at this time can go and apply for a bank account as residents, using their NIE number. Of course they can previously set up a bank account as non-resident but at some point they will have to notify that bank of their change of circumstances as they become registered as resident.
5 Now they are resident they can call in at the Town Hall, with their NIE number, proof of address - contract, bank statement, etc - and ask to be put on the Padron, and also it would be useful at this point to ask for the official letter/certificate of their being ON the Padron.

As pensioners already they should have little in the way of complications - proof of monthly receipts of pensions should be sufficient as proof of income, S1 gives them the right as EU citizens to sign onto the Spanish Health and Social systems - Britain eventually pays for this via the reciprocal arrangements so it is not in Spains interests to make it difficult! This is also why you get your EHIC card from Britain, after you get your S1 letter, rather than from Spain. Even after Brexit, the reciprocal arrangement should mean that Pensioners notice no difference from current system - but then it is anyone's guess on that subject, so if they can get settled before the end of March, it may be better safe, than sorry!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Yeah offically they need their residencia first inorder to get on the healthcare system. So get all their docs for that first. S.1 pension paperwork.possibly bank certificate from spanish bank showing income. Best bet is to go to the police station they will registar at and ask what is required.they normally have a list.

And agree dont need to get nie first.that will come when they apply for residencia.no point going back twice

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks for that, it has changed since we did it as Nie and residency were separate but it makes sense to do both at the same time now. It's the time scale that is the problem as they haven't really made their minds up. My suspicion is that living under the radar is likely to be more difficult after Brexit but who knows. Plenty of people here don't seem too bothered but the ones that come and go might discover that passport control etc will be a bit more tricky.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Surely you need to get your NIE before you get your Residencia ? You will need the NIE to open a bank account and in order to get your Residencia you will need proof of income, which requires a Spanish bank account.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

Some banks let you open an account without a NIE if you are in the process

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Deutsche bank will do it with just a passport ! and your banking charges are zero for card transactions providing you use the card a minimum of 3 times per calendar month !

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm

It is possible to open a bank account without an NIE which we did. It is easier if you have proof of earnings etc, we found it more difficult being self employed, no one carries around with them their last 3 yrs tax details which were requested from Santander when we approached them. Nevertheless we were accepted by another bank , could have been something to do with our lawyer banking there. :mrgreen: Must say we have been happy enough with the bank since.. despite the usual moans most people encounter with banks.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Yeah we Opened an account here while on a viewing trip a few months before actually moving.they were quite happy to update details once we had them