Obtaining Residency in Spain from another country outside the EU

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
pensure1988
Resident

Obtaining Residency in Spain from another country outside the EU

Postby pensure1988 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 am

Please can anyone tell me the requirements for say someone coming to live in Spain from South Africa permanently. My Friend said " Spain would not finalise residency unless I had emigrated from SA" . Is this statement true as I came to Spain in 2008 and had not yet emigrated from my original Country of residence, also being South Africa and I was registered in the Foreign Residents Register without any problems. I only emigrated in 2013 from South Africa.

Thank You

David

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Obtaining Residency in Spain from another country outside the EU

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 am

I am an Eu passport holder but was living in Asia prior to moving to Spain. I still hold my residency card for the other country and renewed it in December as I still spend a few months per year there.

The only point where my previous residency was noted was on the padron at the town hall. They asked me where I had moved from (i.e. where in Spain, when I said outside Spain they just noted the country) and it was written on the Padron cert (including any subsequent certs I need issued). The actually residency registration at the Policia Nacional nobody asked me where I was coming from, they were just bothered whether I had the right to live here (EU passport, income, healthcare).

Having said all of the above I cannot answer for a non EU passport holder

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Obtaining Residency in Spain from another country outside the EU

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Third country rules like america?