Torrox

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Manchesteral
Resident

Torrox

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Can anyone who lives in or has knowledge of the area east of Malaga known as Torrox please post some general info about this area.
I've never been but understand it's much cheaper to buy property there.
what's it like in the winter months, dead ?
As I understand it there are three main areas there, Torrox pueblo, Torrox park and Torrox costa, any advantages or disadvantages regarding these areas !
Any and all opinions will be gratefully recieved, thanks in advance, Al -:)

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Torrox

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Sorry admin, I have no Idea why I posted this topic on this page, please move it if you like, it should have been in living in andalucia, lo siento -:)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Torrox Pueblo is the old town, a typical white village with older properties, narrow streets, many not accessible by car. All the basic amenities you need for every day life, banks, health centre, shops, weekly market, cafes, bars and restaurants and an indoor swimming pool and a football ground on the edge of town. A mix of Spanish and "foreign" residents,:
Torrox park is very much a new build fairly sole less area.Large camping site where I lived for a few months when I first moved here. A couple of small shops and expat bars.
Torrox Costa is mainly high rise apartment blocks. All the shops and facilities for everyday living. Plenty of bars and restaurants beach side. Has a fairly high German population although it is less now than a few years ago since Germany started to tax it's residents on the properties they owned abroad.
There is Also Torrox Campo with variuos houses, mainly new build, spread out in the campo.
Most of what I said is my personal opinion so I expect a lot of people to disagree with me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks Gerry, what about the winter, cold, quiet ??

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:32 pm

No colder than the rest of the CDS during winter. I have very little experience of the pueblo, but do go to costa for restaurants, shops, dentist, bank. This time of year the majority of restaurants along the paseo are closed so it's pretty quiet. We were there a couple of nights ago for dinner. Discovered an excellent chinese restaurant and enjoyed one of the best chinese meals we've had in the 10 years we've lived in spain. Never noticed this restaurant before. But then it's probably a good 6 months since weve eaten on the costa so it may have been there for a while. Will definitely be returning to Ichiban very soon. It's also home to one of our favourite Indian restaurants, the Buddha House.

The major stores, Mercadona and supersol are there and on mondays there is a large market.

Genearlly i like Torrox costa, especially the long paseo you can walk along before or after dinner.

Normally fairly easy to park somewhere even in the height of tourist season.
Regards

Bob

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:35 pm

So it's a decent place to live/own property for an expat then ?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:40 am

The costa on the front is pretty quiet during the winter. We have found it quieter than normal the last couple of years maybe due to as said above re the germans. The costa is nice for a walk on the prom but its basically just a road running through with shops either side.the penoncillo area is popular (the nerja side of the coasta) nice low rise apartments. Torrox park is above that.Only ten mins in the car to nerja and in the other direction on the coast to the other smaller towns.The pueblo has a lovely main square its a few miles inland. Property in the pueblo is cheap but its alot about location as alot of the village is steep so you need to pick a good spot. Alot of people rent/buy there as they are been pushed out of nerja due to prices even though they are very near to each other.they promote torrox as the best climate in europe so... perosnally when we first visited we didnt think much of the coasta as its highrises and not much else.but we spend quite abit of time there now due to the prom (what nerja lacks) we always like a wander in the pueblo as the square is lovely. I would look at property around the penoncillo area as its a nice spot.torrox park is just a big housing estate
Last edited by elusive on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 am

Only you can decide if its a suitable place for you to live. If we were planning to move down to the coast but wanted to stay in roughly the same area then Torrox Costa would certainly be on our possible locations list, along with Calleta (sp)
Regards

Bob

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:02 am

For me personally it would be Torrox pueblo, much nicer and the sea front is only a few mins away...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:08 am

Bought my first property here in Torrox campo in 1996 and have never found anywhere else that I would like to live, but then I am a campo girl (the only other place that I like is Caleta de Velez). As others have said, the pueblo has banks, farmacia, health centre etc that you may need day to day but most roads are inaccessible by car being a typical pueblo blanco. Both the pueblo and the Costa are close to the motorway junction.

I have found that the Costa has reverted to being very German again, like it was when we first came here. Many of the huge tower blocks I believe were built for the German market and quite a few of the restaurants only seem to have their A boards with their menu written in German (just an observation, I've nothing against them!).

There's a wide range of cafe's, bars and places to eat depending on what you like. Jan to March can be fairly quiet and we did the paseo walk on Easter Tuesday and were surprised at how quiet it was and the beach was empty. It does fill up with Spanish at the weekends as a lot of people from Cordoba have apartments there. There's a good range of supermarkets: Lidl, Aldi, Mercadona, Dia and Supersol and a few large Chinese bazaars which are useful, plus ferriterias.

There's quite a lot of building going on now all along the coast from Penoncillo Beach to El Morche. Sites which stood abandoned for years have sprung into life and I hear that there's a lot of Scandinavians buying here. Torrox Park seems to be very reasonably priced but I've never been that keen on the area for some reason.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:20 am

I was recently in Altea pueblo in Valencia where the location and situation seems to be very similar to Elusive's description and several other posters descriptions of Torrox, the hilly/vehicle parking situation would not bother me as I don't drive much in Spain anyway.

I'll be visiting the area (Torrox) in June so I'll have a better idea then, thanks for the opinions and advice, keep it coming :-)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Pueblo busy all year. Park is a mixture of Spanish and expats from EU. Costa is mainly German but all 3 have positives. The restaurants all seem very reasonable, i guess there is a lot of competition.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:10 pm

One thing Costa isn't short of is restaurants. Some excellent which have been there for years, New ones spring up and some of them are very good and you know will stay the course. Others just dont cut it and may well manage a reasonable summer tourist trade with average food, but dont get local clientele and so dont make it through the quiet winter. I can also think of some good ones that just couldnt survive the quiet winter period and close down. I guess that's probably not unusual in coastal resorts.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:24 pm

Some places have had hugely expensive looking refits only to last one season before closing.

We don't eat out that often but when we do it does tend to be on the Costa more than anywhere else. A very Spanish place we like for raciones is El Rubio II on Av el Faro. No menu or opening hours outside but very reasonably priced and good if you fancy some freidura. Never go to the English or Irish bars, although some of them have regular live music if that's your thing.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 pm

We make regular visits to cafe javier at the bus station. The tapas is ridiculously cheap for the quality and portion size you get (€1 each and lots of fresh bread)three tapas does me for the rest of the day! The main meals are excellent and very large aswell. Its not somewhere you would probably pick to go to if you werent aware of how good it is. Lots of regulars of all nationalities. Entre vientos cafe next to the lighthouse is very good aswell

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 01, 2019 8:08 am

Hi all, thanks for all the recent input, a couple of follow up questions, anyone have any thoughts about urbanisation Santa Rosa, slightly to the west of Torrox costa (or is it) ? I would be there or wherever for a period of 3-6 months max till I find my own place, I just need somewhere decent to park myself until I've bought something, and of course if anyone knows anyone who something for rent €500-550 pm etc etc

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 01, 2019 8:29 am

Looks ok for a base. Its at the el morche end of torrox costa. Quite alot of apartment rentals for that price. Have a look on the f.b buy and sell sites. Always quite a few on there.torrox nerja ones. Also torrox property services

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Al, i think its exciting that you wish to start out on a new adventure, i admire your drive to start over somewhere new...I'm sure you will like Torrox and the surrounding area, not far from anywhere and an easy bus ride to many different places should you wish a change of scenery. I'm sure you will make friends and settle in but should it turn out not to be for you than good on you for having a go...Best of luck. :thumbup:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 01, 2019 11:53 pm

thanks for the positive vibes, how long does it take to get to Malaga airport by bus ?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu May 02, 2019 12:41 am

No direct methinks, bus to Malaga bus station, if you get the express about 50mins then nip over the road ant get the train to the airport, depends on timing but it is a regular service and I believe the quickest way.
45 mins not rushing by car.
Torrox Costa is not the prettiest place on the planet but there are many pretty fair places to eat, and the shopping for regular stuff is great with five major supermarkets within 1k.
I live in the campo, 11 minutes away and really don't want to be elsewhere.