Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Bill Caleta
Tourist

Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Postby Bill Caleta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Hola

I'm new to this ! My partner and I have fallen in love with Caleta de Velez - coming out again in next couple of weeks. Looking to long term rent / buy later this year

We are very active - in particular would want to join an amateur dramatics society / club - doing musicals ideally. Spanish or English !!?? Is there one anywhere near Caleta? Or would we have to start one!! Karen sings in band in Uk so might want to do that as well there or perhaps choir / choral society?

We would love to hear from anyone about the above or any of the following please!!

Golf - Any societies / groups that play the local course?
Cycling - any local cycling clubs / groups suitable for us over 50's?
Sailing - I would have a boat in the marina at some point - may bring my 9m sailing cat over or have small motor boat - does anyone have experience of marina there? Would love to hear from anyone who might have a boat to rent (I have RYA day skipper and 30 years experience). Any dinghy sailing there?
Art - would join any local art club !

Or just hear from anyone in the area about life there and things to do - we are also busy learning Spanish

Gracias!

Bill & Karen

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:00 pm

.Welcome to the forum.

There is a good golf society based in Nerja and they play every week at Baviera.

https://ginsgolf.org/ginsgolf.org

Caleta Marina is very nice - I have moored in there a few times in the past.

Sid

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Re: Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Postby Bill Caleta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi Sid

Many thanks for reply - I will contact ginsgolf - do you play?
You are obviously a boating chap - what is the coast like round there? Where are you based?

Bill.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:28 pm

I am still a member but don't play a lot now. They also play at Añoreta just up the road.

I did a lot of sailing some time ago. We lived on our boat and notched up 13000 miles in 5 years cruising the med.

Sadly, sailing on the Costa del Sol is not good. There really isn't anywhere worth going to apart from another crowded marina. You are better off sailing west up the coast . The coast between Nerja and Almuñécar is beautiful. It's good day trip sailing, but that's about it. If you want a longer trip, Gibraltar is good and has good marinas. Morocco is not that far and has a lovely marina just east of Tangier. We live in La Herradura.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:09 pm

I think I remember that English language magazines like 'The Sentella' have pages which give details of clubs and societies in the Axarquia ...

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Yeah ive seen choirs advertised in the past in such mags. If you are on f.book join some of the buy swap &sell groups for nerja etc amongst others as lots advertise groups etc on there

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:18 pm

El Cid wrote:I am still a member but don't play a lot now. They also play at Añoreta just up the road.

I did a lot of sailing some time ago. We lived on our boat and notched up 13000 miles in 5 years cruising the med.

Sadly, sailing on the Costa del Sol is not good. There really isn't anywhere worth going to apart from another crowded marina. You are better off sailing west up the coast . The coast between Nerja and Almuñécar is beautiful. It's good day trip sailing, but that's about it. If you want a longer trip, Gibraltar is good and has good marinas. Morocco is not that far and has a lovely marina just east of Tangier. We live in La Herradura.

Sid
Thanks again for reply and info - I cant wait to get to the med - I did wonder about the immediate coast line - Gib sounds like a good idea - see how it goes!!

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 pm

gavilan wrote:I think I remember that English language magazines like 'The Sentella' have pages which give details of clubs and societies in the Axarquia ...
Thanks - I didnt know that english mags existed - I will lookout for them

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:21 pm

elusive wrote:Yeah ive seen choirs advertised in the past in such mags. If you are on f.book join some of the buy swap &sell groups for nerja etc amongst others as lots advertise groups etc on there
Thanks - good advice as well - will have a look

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Yes, there are lots of English language free magazines, but they are mainly full of adverts for restaurants and property and rarely contain any useful info apart from a few recipes and links to useful sites. There are exceptions of course, but they are pretty rare.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 pm

thesentinella.com
Gerry

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 am

Hi

Sur in English usually has a Social/Clubs page in it. There are various Print edition such as Costa del Sol,Costa Blanca,Costa Brava Editions. See below for link. Look at page 45 for information.

http://print-edition.surinenglish.com/2 ... dition=797

Good Luck

David

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 am

You could have a look at this link below.

http://www.andalucia.com/entertainment/clubs/rotary.htm

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:33 am

Sailing club in Torre del Mar:

Club Náutico de Torre del Mar

Website for the marina in Caleta de Velez:

https://www.marinareservation.com/marin ... velez-1199

Have a look at Lux Mundy in Torre del Mar, they organise many activities and are a font of local information.

Long term rental can be a problem in Caleta because it is so popular in the summer, and property can be rented out for mega money during June/July/ august.
Depends on what you are looking for and location.
Hardworking resident !!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:24 am

Take a drive inland a few kms to Trapiche. The restaurant El Trapiche used to have a monthly dance with dinner in aid of Cudeca. Not sure if it still runs but you could have a drink/tapa or the good value menu del dia and check it out.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Yes that still goes on from October to April with a mix of sequence dancing and ballroom, (although the OP didn't mention dancing as an interest.) The Restaurant El Trapiche does do a very good value menu de dia though.

There are a few choirs here. I've seen Coraxalia perform and they are very good.
I think there's a U3A in El Morche that has various clubs.

Free mags we get are: (online sites for this month's issues)
The Sentinella https://issuu.com/tonyknight13/docs/january_fb
Insight (pages 56 and 58 have a long listing of local clubs) http://www.m3dia.pro/si/jan-2020/mobile/index.html
Soltalk http://www.soltalk.com/
Streetwise https://streetwise.es/

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Nerja Players for drama in Nerja https://www.thenerjaplayers.com/
The International club is a large club with many trips https://www.facebook.com/CIDNERJA/
The American International Club, (despite its name is mainly Brits and Other Nationalities) is smaller https://www.facebook.com/AmericanIntern ... ClubNerja/
Lux Mundi don't have a link

Soltalk.com has a comprehensive list

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:02 pm

El Cid wrote:Yes, there are lots of English language free magazines, but they are mainly full of adverts for restaurants and property and rarely contain any useful info apart from a few recipes and links to useful sites. There are exceptions of course, but they are pretty rare.

Sid
Thanks again - see how I get on!

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:09 pm

GerryinCajiz wrote:thesentinella.com
Thanks - have had a look - has alot of good info

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:14 pm

pensure1988 wrote:Hi

Sur in English usually has a Social/Clubs page in it. There are various Print edition such as Costa del Sol,Costa Blanca,Costa Brava Editions. See below for link. Look at page 45 for information.

http://print-edition.surinenglish.com/2 ... dition=797

Good Luck

David

Thanks David - some good info in this