Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Bill Caleta
Tourist

Re: Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:19 pm

pensure1988 wrote:You could have a look at this link below.

http://www.andalucia.com/entertainment/clubs/rotary.htm
Many thanks

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Re: Activity clubs drama / golf / sailing / art Caleta / Torre / Velez Malaga - help please!

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:56 pm

fincalospinos wrote:Sailing club in Torre del Mar:

Club Náutico de Torre del Mar

Website for the marina in Caleta de Velez:

https://www.marinareservation.com/marin ... velez-1199

Have a look at Lux Mundy in Torre del Mar, they organise many activities and are a font of local information.

Long term rental can be a problem in Caleta because it is so popular in the summer, and property can be rented out for mega money during June/July/ august.
Depends on what you are looking for and location.
Hi - this is very helpful - I will call into the sailing club when we are over in a couple of wees tim
I think we will still try and rent as the pitfalls of buying appear to be many!!
I see you are a resisdent of Caleta - any other info about the area very very welcome!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Make sure you know your rights if planning to rent longterm.citizens advice bureau spain website is a good start. Agents and owners are abit of a nightmare ontop of their been so little on the market thanks to air B&B etc

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Wicksey wrote:Yes that still goes on from October to April with a mix of sequence dancing and ballroom, (although the OP didn't mention dancing as an interest.) The Restaurant El Trapiche does do a very good value menu de dia though.

There are a few choirs here. I've seen Coraxalia perform and they are very good.
I think there's a U3A in El Morche that has various clubs.

Free mags we get are: (online sites for this month's issues)
The Sentinella https://issuu.com/tonyknight13/docs/january_fb
Insight (pages 56 and 58 have a long listing of local clubs) http://www.m3dia.pro/si/jan-2020/mobile/index.html
Soltalk http://www.soltalk.com/
Streetwise https://streetwise.es/
Very helpful thanks - we will look through these and also try and find out when next dinner dance event is - looked on website but didnt show

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 pm

Next dinner dance for Cudeca, at El Trapiche is Sat Feb 8th.
For rest of year dates, all Saturdays, are:-
March 7th, April 4th, October 10th, November 14th and December 5th.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Many thanks - we are actually staying in Caleta on the 8th Feb!! We might give it a go - do you know if we would need to book?

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:54 pm

elusive wrote:Make sure you know your rights if planning to rent longterm.citizens advice bureau spain website is a good start. Agents and owners are abit of a nightmare ontop of their been so little on the market thanks to air B&B etc
Good advice - We will do alot of reading - or perhaps just buy a bigger baot and live on it!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Re houses: it can take years to sell a house in Spain, so if you need to move quickly you may be stuck. If you rent you can walk away for only the loss of a deposit and a bit of rent, and you keep your capital.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Bill Caleta wrote:
Many thanks - we are actually staying in Caleta on the 8th Feb!! We might give it a go - do you know if we would need to book?
Yes you do. I normally go to all the Cudeca dances but I won't be at that one.
I have sent you a PM with the booking information.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:10 pm

If the Scottish section is still being called by George Bain ask him about the bridge club (if you play).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 am

Just wanted to say many thanks again for all replies - looking forward to changing my status from tourist to resident perhaps someday!!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:22 am

Hi - this is very helpful - I will call into the sailing club when we are over in a couple of wees tim
I think we will still try and rent as the pitfalls of buying appear to be many!!
I see you are a resisdent of Caleta - any other info about the area very very welcome!
As you may have already found out, there are many excellent bars and restaurants, excellent public transport links, and a lovely climate.

There is also a building that contains a doctors surgery, post office, and Ayuntamiento office. All centraly located and easy access.

There is a veterinary surgery, and the Comarcal hospital is very close and on a regular bus route.
If you like golf, Baviera is only 5 minutes away and Anoreta around 20 minutes.

I live on Calle Real, the beach road between Algarrobo Costa and the fishing port / marina, where all my immediate neighbors are Spanish. However, particularly in Caleta and Algarrobo Costa, people of many other nationalities live either full or part time, making for a good social mix.

The beach gets very busy in July and August, mainly with Spanish coming down from Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla to visit families, and staying on the beach until the early hours. It is a super atmosphere, and we often get invited to share a BBQ and join in the fun.

What you dont get is crowds of partying drunks roaming the streets and causing trouble, a refreshing change from many larger towns and coastal resorts.

The winter months are best, from October through to Easter, when the village is quieter and the weather is very kind. No frosts and not much rain.
Hardworking resident !!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 pm

peteroldracer wrote:If the Scottish section is still being called by George Bain ask him about the bridge club (if you play).
I will see George tomorrow as he doesn't always go to the monthly dances now. I shall ask him about the bridge which I think he still plays.

Bill Caleta I'll PM you about the Cudeca dances as I go every month too.

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 pm

fincalospinos wrote:
As you may have already found out, there are many excellent bars and restaurants, excellent public transport links, and a lovely climate.

There is also a building that contains a doctors surgery, post office, and Ayuntamiento office. All centraly located and easy access.

There is a veterinary surgery, and the Comarcal hospital is very close and on a regular bus route.
If you like golf, Baviera is only 5 minutes away and Anoreta around 20 minutes.

I live on Calle Real, the beach road between Algarrobo Costa and the fishing port / marina, where all my immediate neighbors are Spanish. However, particularly in Caleta and Algarrobo Costa, people of many other nationalities live either full or part time, making for a good social mix.

The beach gets very busy in July and August, mainly with Spanish coming down from Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla to visit families, and staying on the beach until the early hours. It is a super atmosphere, and we often get invited to share a BBQ and join in the fun.

What you dont get is crowds of partying drunks roaming the streets and causing trouble, a refreshing change from many larger towns and coastal resorts.

The winter months are best, from October through to Easter, when the village is quieter and the weather is very kind. No frosts and not much rain.
Thanks again - Karen and I have visited many places in spain - we love the Valencia area but Caleta represents the best of what we are looking for! We are learning Spanish and very keen to mix with all nationalities and enjoy the diverse culture. Looking forward to our 3rd visit in a few weeks time

Bill Caleta
Tourist

Postby Bill Caleta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Wicksey wrote:
peteroldracer wrote:If the Scottish section is still being called by George Bain ask him about the bridge club (if you play).
I will see George tomorrow as he doesn't always go to the monthly dances now. I shall ask him about the bridge which I think he still plays.

Bill Caleta I'll PM you about the Cudeca dances as I go every month too.
Many thanks - regret we dont play bridge!