Painting wooden beams

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Heston
Resident

Painting wooden beams

Postby Heston » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 am

Can anyone offer advice...I have orginal wooden beams in my lounge and have used PVA on them first then painted them white with a good pintura plastico ( they were orginally painted not bare wood) however there are bits of yellow ( not all over) that keep coming through..why is this and how can I get rid of it? Its starting to annoy me now!!!

:evil:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Sounds like resin bleed. You can use a proprietary "knot sealant" which is shellac-based to stop this from happening.
Best not to use plastico paint on old wooden beams - doing so will create an ideal breeding ground for dry rot, fungus, insects etc.
Limewash paint is far better - it inhibits mould growth and actually acts as an insect repellant.
If the yellow areas feel soft if you press on them then you've already got dry rot.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:22 pm

On the subject of painting beams. Any suggestions for changing the appearance of the sludge coloured paint (putting it mildly) that is so beloved in rural Spain? i.e is it best to paint over them or can it be removed? If so what with?

Alternatively what do you ask for to get more of the sludge coloured paint!?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:48 am

If you mean the stuff they painted woodwork with, I scraped it off using scraper and a heat gun. I don't know whether it is lead based or not, but I would suggest using a face mask and gloves to be on the safe side, if you do try and remove it.
Grouser

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:28 pm

what do you ask for to get more of the sludge coloured paint!
I have never seen this color paint on beams...perhaps they just do it like that in Granada...but you can ask for a color chart and pick from there... if your beams are round then they would be pita (agave) wood and you cant muck about with them much...if square then would be another kind of wood...now the condition of the wood and paint will depend on how you go about this job...esmalte acabado madera on top of a painted beam in good condition..will give a look like wood finish...grotty paint..strip then varnish or paint...there is another alternative that is more expensive for materials but less work...which is false beam covering old beam.
eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the sludge sounds the easiest way :roll:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Heston
Resident

painting beams

Postby Heston » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks hillybilly...guess what i will be doing this weekend!!

What do the spainish call lime wash?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:37 pm

What do the spainish call lime wash?
cal
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Heston
Resident

beams

Postby Heston » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:39 pm

well i never knew that! I thought that was the stuff that keeps furing my pipes up!!!
Cheers Silver!