Roof repairs

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
toddcl
Resident

Roof repairs

Postby toddcl » Fri May 11, 2007 10:21 am

After days of torrential Rina we found that we had a few leaks.
Funny how they select the area directly over the bed!

We asked around for someone to come and clean the roof, replace some broken tiles and shuffle them around etc.

A Spanish builder turned up and couldn't give a price or any indication of cost. He said we needed a new roof as to attempt to repair it would result in so many broken tiles it would not be worth it. We agreed that he price the job as we thought we may go the whole hog.

The roof area is max 100 square meters.
His estimate was nearly €19,000. :shock: Laugh, I COULDN'T STOP! :lol: :lol:
So it works out at €190 per meter and not including IVA or any mention of insulation etc. Just in BOLD all extra work will be charged for.

I'm still looking for the roof tile shuffler man but in the meantime I sent the wife up and she replaced all the broken tiles. Shes 5 stone lighter so she insisted! The tiles were €9 for 30[cheap as chips]

So what is the going rate per square meter of roof, when having a new roof? I thought it would have been around € 8,000 to €10,000 for 100 sq mt.
The wooden beams are in good repair and it only wants stripping back insulation and tiling.

P.S
Talking in the bar to a local in my best Spanglish about the bandit builders quote, a local who Ive just had 3 beers with, turns out to be the local plod who promptly takes out his note pad and writes down the builders name. He made some comment about having a chat with him as he was making the Town and Spanish look bad.
He then offed me another drink which i declined explaining i was driving, he explained 'no problem' as i now have the police as amigos and gave me his number in case I ever have any problems. :D
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:44 am

Ruddy heck, it is outrageous!! :shock:

I am never going to get anything done or use any Spanish services without asking advice first, what a ripoff :roll:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

The current "recognised" rate (ie that accepted by town hall for licence application), at least round here, is 71.79€ per sqm. This is for stripping off old tiles and retiling and includes labour of course.
In practice, esp if DIY'ing, it will cost you much less, as you already know how cheap roof tiles are. IMHO that rate would also include for new roof beams.

Seat.driver
Tourist

roof tiling

Postby Seat.driver » Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am

toddcl

It really is disappointing when people lie so much about all this. I know it happens in every country, but I am experiencing a lot of it at the moment.
I heard an interesting insight into spanish psychology the other day. He said that because there was not so much building work around now, that in order to earn the same as he was a few years back, he would have to start charging more! Can you beleive it? Well I can! money grabbing ####! The problem is that in recent decades, the spanish have had no experience of recession, and now that less work is available, they are not sure about quite how to compete.

While I think the 71 € is a little on the low side (townhalls notoriously have a reduced rate for all works - means a lower licence fee!) I did get my roof taken off and relaid the other day for a total of €85 - that included stripping, re waterproofing, and relaying.

100sq m, completely finished in about 5 days, and brilliant finish. He was an English chap with a Romanian/Polish team based around the Vinuela area but he travelled to us (Nerja region) to do the work.

I would be happy to recommend the them to anyone.

Hope you got the tiles sorted

SeatDriver!