What glue to get?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: What glue to get?

Postby princess peach » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:46 pm

lol DA...wasnt talking to you...me and you will most probably be having words when the sticky jobbies have been purchased,blinds have been erected and after day one,they are back on the floor... :evil: :lol:

Maybe "Mr S Lad "could help with the right word in Spanish for me:thumbup:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 pm

go for the conatct adhesive..at least you´ll have fun..and you won´t really care if it sticks or not !!
:twisted:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:57 am

:lolno: Nope,im going with DAs sticky mirror fixers...then i can whip his kyber if they fall off! :wink:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 am

ok, then ask for
"una pegatina de doble cara para pegar el espejo retrovisor"
in a car accessory shop
unfortunatly frank can´t see my posts to be able to tell me that is not correct, and to tell you the right way of asking for it.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 am

Look, I'll be off line for a few weeks shortly so just to cover my "kyber" I'd better mention a few things as I don't want to walk back into a "hookgate" thread :lol:

There are different qualities of these pads....3M etc are the best but hopefully the ones you pick up will be fine.......if they look like they've been sitting in the shop for years and not covered then try somewhere else for them.

Thouroughly clean both surfaces squeaky clean and don't leave any polish on :thumbup:

Cut the pad to your hook base shape. Take the film off one side and heat the rubber with a warm hair dryer for a few seconds then stick it on.
Peel off the other piece of film and heat that in the same way..............then stick hook on to surface.

Good Luck :wave:

PS Admin. IF THE HOOK FALLS OFF WHILE I'M AWAY PLEASE DELETE MY MEMBERSHIP OF THIS FORUM FORTHWITH :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:41 pm

:lolno: :lolno: :lol:

Thanks for the instructions DA,and for the translation Julian..
:thumbup:

Watch this space...ILL BE BACK.... :wink:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:07 pm

do you want the translation for
"help, I have stuck my fingers together with this double sided sticky pad"
for when you arrive at urgencias?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 pm

rofl julian.. she should be back by now :shifty: :shifty:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:24 am

lol..YES Julian,but i cant get them until the shops re open can i!!!
and Yes Julian,you can give me the translation for that if you want... :thumbup: hahaha..Just incase... :crazy:

Spanish,dont encourage him,hes bad enough working alone :lolno:

Ancient-Briton
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ancient-Briton » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:59 am

Princess-I've used double-sided tape and Tangit for similar jobs and both worked, but I think the Tangit is probably the neatest and best for the job, but don't scratch your nose-or anywhere else while your using it . :lol:
The tape is very cheap from the todo shops and I fixed some trim on my car with it at least 2 years ago, and it is still good.
I've never had any success with the sticky hooks unless I've added extra glue-by the way.

Happy Easter and good luck with your D.I.Y-ing. :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:13 pm

AncientB~I also use the sticky hooks with glue,only my Hard as nails hasnt done the job.. :? Maybe its just old...The lot upstairs that i glued has stayed up there for nearly 3 years....this new lot ive tried to stick just fell to the floor,I gave the glue overnight to set as well. :thumbdown:

Ill have to try the sticky things that DA recommended(coz if they dont stick,i can give him hell)
If that fails,i will get some Tangit. :thumbup:
Thanks for your reply and Happy Easter to you and your family.xx

Delule

Postby Delule » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Sorry for bumping...just my opinion...

I've always used 5 minute epoxy like this I keep a supply of the plastic tops from Pringles tubes, which are convenient for mixing and keep the glue under control. A mini screwdriver for mixing, and another one for applying it. I never mix very much, because most of it is usually wasted anyway. For joints in resin wagons I use a very thin smear, press together and wipe off the excess. For some tasks, eg fitting brass compensation units, a blob of the stuff will give something for the brass to bed into. I have used it for any combination of resin, brass, whitemetal and plastics, and the only time it has failed me is when I neglected Bill's important advice, to thoroughly degrease the components. I often use Butanone, because it's handy on the workbench; but for plastic stuff I often use IPA. A scrub in detergent should work as well; I'm always frightened about scrubbing my models lest something falls off, and usually use a cotton bud.