Insulating a bedroom

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Insulating a bedroom

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:58 pm

One of our spare bedrooms gets very hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter, we need to insulate the room. The ceiling is a sloping one, so we need to sort that too when fixing the heat/cold problem. The windows are fixed flush to the walls so I guess they will need moving. Any suggestions as to what we can use to insulate the room and to stop damp building up behind the insulation?
Thanks in advance
Ps due to be grandparents early next year, so want to make the room better for little ones visiting.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Insulating a bedroom

Postby katy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:16 pm

No idea, but congratulations...life will never be the same :D

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 pm

I am sure you must have wondered what the loud squealing you all heard was, it wasn't a pig being slaughtered it was me squealing with happiness :lolno:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:38 pm

I've been looking into insulating a metal shed here in UK, and it seems that ventilation is important. I'm going to try 50mm thick polystyrene sheeting attached with spray glue, but you would probably be best using insulated fibreboard or plasterboard (sorry, no idea what they would be in Spanish, but I'm sure someone on here would know :wink: )
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

WoodlandHills
Tourist

Postby WoodlandHills » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Pardon my ignorance of Spanish construction methods, are you saying that your home was built with no Fiberglas batting or foam in the outside walls and no plastic sheeting wrapping the outer walls? Is this in an older home from the '40s or '50s or does the code allow this kind of construction today?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Prior to 2000 insulation was not an issue. Some houses might have it, but most did not.

Under the present regs, walls have to be sprayed with foam and so do roofs. There is no requirement for cavity walls. If you do have a cavity wall, the outside wall is sprayed on the inside and the second wall then built on the inside.

You mentioned batting - I assume you mean battening. No, that is not normally used. Spanish houses are built of brick and reinforced concrete and any wood in the construction is frowned upon - it's the first thing your insurance company will ask you. As a result, house fires are rare in Spain.

We built our house to the current regs and it is far better built than anything I have experienced in the UK.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi oliveview01,
We are about to do the same to rooms upstairs , having just had the roof replaced.
I'll get the exact specs of the boards they will be using soon.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks Enrique, it will be much appreciated :thumbup:

WoodlandHills
Tourist

Postby WoodlandHills » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:35 am

By batting I meant Fiberglas wool, in NA it is typically colored pink and for years was the standard insulation for roofs and walls. So all of these stuccoed homes I see for sale are true masonry construction as opposed to stick and plywood as in NA? Are they block construction or poured concrete with forms?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:30 am

In very simple terms, you lay reinforced concrete foundations or a platform. You build a reinforced concrete frame up from this. The floors and roof are also reinforced concrete. Having built the basic structure the outside walls are constructed from brick or block. Internal walls are usually brick or block. Finally the walls are rendered and plastered.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 am

I have seen, over here in Spain, a number of installations where extra insulation has been achieved by lining the room. The method. Fix metal battening to the walls. Then in the space between that and the new finished internal wall insulation material is inserted. This is in the form of uniform thickness "boards" made of what looks like compressed foam pieces. The internal wall is made of suitable plasterboard(you can for example get it with foil on one side) fixed to the battening with screws and then skimmed. Every so often there are vents installed. If you go to a plasterboard shop they have it all on display. I think the bigger DIY sheds sell it too.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 am

If you try Bricomart at the moment they seem to have loads of different types of plasterboard and insulation.I did know of a couple years ago who had a similar problem in their lounge as it was very large and they insulated the ceiling and they said it made a huge difference in the warmth of the room.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi oliveview01,
Boards just arrived............we are using the P110101 1250x 600

http://www.topox.es/esp/producto/topox_cuber.php

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:15 am

Enrique/Oliveview01

Sometime ago you posted about roof insulation. We have a similar problem, boiling hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.
When you installed the insulation board did it solve the problem/improve things?
Also, how did you finish it off. Was it plastered over and painted or some other method?

Any feedback appreciated.

Regards

Barry

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi Barry,
"When you installed the insulation board did it solve the problem/improve things?".............Yes

My link above no longer works............so update below for material used to line outside walls. "Plastered" and painted

http://www.cubimat.com/producto/aislant ... ho-hembra/

The complete roof was replaced and the ceiling lowered to being flat, before it was a beamed sloping roof with tiles set on concrete. The back part asbestos-cement corrugated sheets............ :crazy:

Now the upstairs is usable any time of the year also without A/C in Summer. The downstairs has been setup so no need to go upstairs.... :D

Hopefully oliveview01 will come on with an update..........don't think they replaced roof...... :?:

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Enrique.
Thanks for that. I tried a Google.es search to get to the Topex site, but they have been take over by someone else, anyway I found their site and it was very useful. We don't want to lose our slanted beamed ceiling as it looks good. So thinking along the lines of insulated board between the wooden beams of about 50mm.
Be interested to see what Olive did.

Thanks again for the feedback Enrique and glad to hear that Topox/Cubimat helped to solve the problem.

Regards

Barry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:30 am

I think it is a mixed bag. Internal plasterboard walls on metal studding with glass fibre matting insulation between does work. It cuts down sound as well. Our plasterboard supplier sells both the foam particle insulation and the glassfibre traditional stuff. The owner dissuaded us from the foam. It was hard to tell if the reason was price or efficiency.

Our roof is Tiles, lightweight concrete (Arlita granules), Bitumen moisture barrier, then thick insulation boards. These are supported on wooden beams at 50 cm centres.

I haven't seen anything that would insulate between the space inside the room between the beams. I suspect any commercial solution would involve a false ceiling , 12 cm of insulation stuffed between the beams ,roof and false celining and loss of visual effect of the actual beams.