outside boiler

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
kexon
Resident

outside boiler

Postby kexon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:38 pm

we are presently renovating our bathroom and we have a large electric water heater of 80 litres.its relatively new and very efficient but huge, we were considering housing it outside within a cupboard.is their anything we should consider,insulation,ventilation etc before doing so?its a monster size and looks really awful in quite a small bathroom.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: outside boiler

Postby Torrox_campo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:49 pm

I don't think there is any problem placing it outside and undercover.
I think most of these boilers have integral insulation already so there is no need to insulate. If it needs height and you are going to hang then you will need a very good bracket + solid wall to fit otherwise put it on a frame woud be best option. Hopefully you don't need a license for building a cupboard outside.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:53 pm

just to be belts and braces make sure it has ventilation.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 am

Things to consider:
Extra length of pipe could mean having to run off more water before getting hot at the taps, this is inevitably less efficient as it leaves hot water in the pipes to go cold again. ie Distance is relative.

You will be putting 3kw electrics outside the house so wiring and waterproofing are important if the new position is exposed.

Is the heater insulated for outdoor applications? It will be in a much cooler environment and could therefor cool.

Have you costed an instant heater that doesn't store water and is therefor much smaller?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:14 am

While on the subject........what in the real world is a good Wattage ( minimum ) for an instant heater, can they do Shower and supply basin in a guest bathroom from one unit.

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:26 am

I have a 8.5KW instant water heater for my shower. This was about the smallest wattage one I could find that was suitable for a shower.
This set up produces a good flow of hot water in the depths of winter.
A lower rated heater would heat the water but the flow rate would be low.
My house supply is 9.8 KW which is the highest available before going 3 phase.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks all for your comments,much appreciated,we were also concerned about the waterproofing etc.
we may look into the instant heater as an alternative,but may be beyond the budget at present.