kitchen floor

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
flyeogh
Resident

kitchen floor

Postby flyeogh » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Looking for ideas for kitchen floor. We have an L shape of about 30 square meters. Something that is hard wearing but not freezing cold tiles would be good. Obviously there are flotantes but just wondered if anyone had any other material that looks good, is hard wearing and dog proof, and is not cold and hard to the touch.

Cheers :wave:
El raton de watford

Flexo
Resident

Re: kitchen floor

Postby Flexo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Laminate I guess? I prefer tiles in the kitchen because of wear and tear and cleanliness but laminates are very durable and nicer for the feet. The problem is acids from foodstuff that might cause stains. Wood is nice but I would never use wood in the kitchen, particuarly if you have guests with high heels or such.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Out here, tiles are not cold, but cool in the summer (which has to be welcome), and in the winter (if barefoot is preferred) a bit of simple under-floor electric heating - which could be easily laid under your new tiles - and run for just a very few hours each day/night would give a snug floor.

High heels in the kitchen are good fun, so it would be a shame to get in the way of those!!
Chris

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Tx flexo. There are some good laminates that have doggie resistance so that is for sure an option and not too expensive :) No high heels in my spanish family so that is not an issue (wish it was :wink: )

Torre de Aguila you obviously have very different feet to me or live in a very different Spain :lolno: Under floor heating is a thought but I'd prefer a different floor. We have central heating and a log burner so more heating seems a bit over the top.
El raton de watford

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Our house had wood 'style' laminate throughout apart from the bathroom when we moved in. The kitchen had obviously had a flood at some time as the floor was raised and warped. When we redid the kitchen we took it up and it was quite mouldy underneath so we have tiled it. I find it more hard-wearing and I wear flipflops, slippers or slippersockythings in the winter anyhow so my feet aren't cold.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:48 pm

The best long term solution is to tile the floor and then put down rugs or buy yourself a pair of sheepskin or wool lined ankle boots to wear indoors in the winter as myself and many other people do.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks Wicksey and Kexon. For sure I take the point that warm footwear and tiles have many advantages. Problem is there are already tiles but my spanish wife won't live with them. And the thought of paying for tiles to be removed only to be replaced is something that would hack me off as I have other things to spend the budget on.

In the end it may be me laying flotante on the current tiles.

I'd always dreamed of my spanish style kitchen but the last thing my spaniard wants is a spanish kitchen. Funny old world :(
El raton de watford