Glass panes

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Ayjayy

Glass panes

Postby Ayjayy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:02 am

Hi,
I need to replace small glass panes in old window frames above a stairwell. The current ones are cracked and the frames are just above floor level on the roof terrace- any contact could send them falling two floors down the internal stairwell, with potentially horrible consequences, so I need to replace with something thick or toughened, or Perspex etc. I would appreciate any advice on what to use and where to buy, preferably cut to size, in the Granada, Orgiva, Motril area.
(Currently taped up for safety)
Thanks very much

Alora Man
Tourist

Re: Glass panes

Postby Alora Man » Sat May 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Ayjayy
Just bought some perspex and fitted to small window in our front door. Bought the perspex from Leroy Merlin DIY store and in the Malaga store they have it next to the timber so presume the store near you will be similar. They have uv stable types and a range of thicknesses.

Not so sure about obtaining glass cut to size apart from asking around in your local village. In most villages there seems to be a couple of double glazing shops opening, or look in your local industrial estates (poligono industrial)

Hope this helps

Ayjayy

Re: Glass panes

Postby Ayjayy » Sat May 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks very much Alora Man- Perspex sounds a good idea as it will still be safe even if the cracking happens again, and the windows aren't used for viewing so no problem if they get a bit scratched etc. I'll have a look in Leroy Merlin
Cheers
Ayjayy