Pool cover

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Pool cover

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:38 am

Some advice on the use of a pool cover, please.

I had always assumed that a pool cover was most effective at night to prevent evaporation and retain heat. So the cover is always on at night.

However what about during the day? I assume that the cover will prevent the pool heating up as much as it would do if left directly exposed to the sun. But on the other hand I also assume that less chlorine would be used and less debris on the pool surface.

So. Keep pool cover on except when the pool is in use or just keep the cover on at night? Your thoughts, please

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pool cover

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:14 am

It all depends on the type of cover. For summer use bubble covers are the usual choice. Obviously they retain the heat, but depending on the colour and transparency, they will also heat the pool. If you want to heat the pool, then they should be kept on during the day and only removed when using the pool.

Beware of the very high UV in Spain. A cheap cover will not last long before it breaks up. Make sure you buy a cover with very high UV resistance.

Some examples of different types here http://www.agbudget.co.uk/pools/solar-bubble-covers.asp

Winter covers are different again, as they should be completely opaque to stop any sunlight getting into the pool - this prevents algae growing.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Ok. It's a light blue bubble summer cover. I'll experiment with both options, but I didn't think it would heat the pool better than sun directly on water so thanks for that tip. Cheers.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:33 pm

It will help heat it, as there will be no evaporation which cools down the pool.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:37 pm

And I assume the bubbles act as lenses to focus the sun's rays more effectively?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:09 am

It depends on the design, but yes, they can definitely help to heat the pool. I have not used one here as the pool gets hot enough anyway, but I had one in the UK and it was very effective (on the rare occasions when it was sunny!).

Sid