Woodworm?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
truebrit
Resident

Woodworm?

Postby truebrit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:06 am

Last night I noticed a very loud scratching noise coming from our bathroom door. Evidence of something(sort of sawdust) on the ground. Not sure how to treat it because no evidence of way in for the little critters. Anyone got any solutions?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Woodworm?

Postby olive » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:15 am

Take the door off and have a good look for a hole. Might be on top or underneath . Sawdust should give you an idea of location.

You can buy carcoma treatment. Liquid form or spray tin. For one hole spray tin is best. Comes with an angled nozzle. Wear gloves and get the nozzle in as far as possible.

The only one we ever had after we extensively treated all beams , was in the bathroom door too. Have a good look around the house for anymore sawdust. They can be difficult to eradicate as you need to break the cycle of reproduction/eggs hatching.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:45 am

My (Spanish) neighbour says paraffin
nil illegitimum carborundum

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Problem is cant see any holes! This morning there has been no more noise so will wait and see. But thanks will buy some product.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:10 pm

Wood worm don't tend to make much noise , not the sort you can hear at any rate.
Now termites do, as do black watch beetles, as well as that bloody great wood boring beetle they have out here, and the Palm Beetle ( is the noise from out side)
What ever it is - you have got to find it - Pronto

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:01 pm

I suspect it will be longhorn beetle.

threads on search button. e.g. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28738&p=268610&hil ... le#p268610

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Definately a clicking noise. So loud that I recorded it to play to my hubby!. Since last night have heard or seen nothing. What do these beetles look like. Because I saw what I thought were cucarachas last night more than usual. I hate them so i dont really have a good look. Will just have to monitor carefullu.