Karcher K2 Basic Problem?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
telboy
Resident

Karcher K2 Basic Problem?

Postby telboy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:53 pm

I have a Karcher K2 Basic. - Using it for only the second time since purchase in back in February, I find it stops and starts at two second intervals, I thought it may be the electricity but after taking everything apart and cleaning filter etc I've discovered it's the Dirtblaster Nozzle. Whatever is inside the cone shaped end seems to move freely I assume it is a ballbearing, tried washing/cleaning out any possible obstruction.

Any suggestions from fellow posters :?:

To purchase a replacement nozzle would cost almost as much as the whole item :wtf: From what research I've done it could be quite a common fault. Do I return it to the store for a replacement :?: OR - Take up the issue with Karcher, this may involve many phone calls and postage & packaging costs.

terry

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Karcher K2 Basic Problem?

Postby probe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Have you got your supply tap on full pressure? If there is inadequate flow rate into the system it will go on and off so as to still deliver a pressurized output. I learnt this by accident when I hadn't turned the tap full on.

If this doesn't solve the issue then I would look to return as these are normally pretty robust.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm

probe - cheers :thumbup:

Tried the water tap at different pressures, I too thought that was the initial problem. When I took the nozzle end attachment off the water comes through the gun/trigger part of the wand as expected without the stop start issue, so as I said it must be problem with the nozzle.

I cant see any way of accessing the cone/nozzle end of dirtbuster attachment the to inspect the innards, the unit looks as if it was made of one complete plastic surround.

terry

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:56 pm

With anything involving water here I always suspect cal to be the problem - especially if the thing is used then left, giving the stuff time to get a grip on everything.....try dilute ViaCal or my favourite, "dead granny reviver" (Aguafuerte).
If you get foam and gas given off, that could be it.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I had this problem a few years ago with a pressure washer from Lidl. It came with two lances, and the turbo version with the ball bearing in it gave up within a week.

I asked for a replacement of the faulty lance under warranty and an entire new washer arrived a few days later.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:23 pm

probe wrote:Have you got your supply tap on full pressure?
When I use my Karcher I just drop a length of hose into the pool and the machine drags the water through, no need for any pressure.
Gerry

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:48 pm

I have had a Karcher conical turbo washer attachment give up on me. The cone unscrews from its base. But be very careful with the parts released from inside....it is vital they go back in the correct place.

My problem with the turbo wand was that the ball wouldn't swirl, so I just go a narrow jet, with no blasting/stripping action. Found that a sharp rap on the ground (while the jet was running) got it going again, until it happened again next time it was stopped.

Finally bought a new turbo lance in Bauhaus, at about €40. This one works more-or-less properly, only requiring the occasional jolt.

You will have a two year EU warranty on your K2. Take it back/return it/whatever if you are able.
Karcher washers IMHO are brilliantly marketed, but less than really well built.
Chris

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Cheers guys :thumbup: - advice taken onboard

Cant get the cone end to unscrew by hand will try using a wrench, don't want to scuff the end and void the warranty should I return it to Leroy Merlin. More than likely I'll return it and see if I can exchange it for a basic fan type nozzle.

terry

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:37 pm

If Leroy M., just take the nozzle back, plus your receipt. They are usually good at this sort of thing. They also usually have the Karcher turbo wand on the shelf as a spare item, so replacement shouldn't be difficult. If all else fails, ask for a complete refund . . . February wasn't very long ago!

The variable-flow nozzle is a good (and gentle) tool, but lacks the sheer flesh-stripping force of the turbo wand. The latter v.g. for patios and dirty tiles and concrete, but absolutely not for your car!!!
Chris

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:49 am

GerryinCajiz wrote:
probe wrote:Have you got your supply tap on full pressure?
When I use my Karcher I just drop a length of hose into the pool and the machine drags the water through, no need for any pressure.
Agreed - its probably not the pressure but supply