Business Names

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Business Names

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:31 am

It's perfectly normal and acceptable for English speakers to pronounce foreign words with English pronunciation.

When did you ever hear anyone call Paris - Paree?

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:33 am

Exactly Sid, And I don't knock the Spanish mates for calling my home city Leeberrrrpool.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:37 am

It is all about comprehension Sid. If you were in France and wanted to ask where the train was for Paris, would you ask a frenchman for 'Pariss' or 'Paree'?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:47 am

I also agree with Sid that it is acceptable for English speakers talking to each other to pronounce 'foreign' words basically as they are spelt ( is that correct ? ).

However getting back to the original topic, I suggested that a business name is better to be formed with content that doesn't cause pronunciation problems for any nationality.

If I was in France I would ask for Nougaar..not Nugget..by the way... :wave:

Regards,
Goorrrdon..as the Spanish call me.. :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:51 am

Miro,
As you are from the Sarf and your missus is from the Norf, do you actually manage to have an understandable conversation ?.. :lol:
Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:29 pm

peteroldracer wrote:It is all about comprehension Sid. If you were in France and wanted to ask where the train was for Paris, would you ask a frenchman for 'Pariss' or 'Paree'?
If you were in Italy you would where the train for Parigi is - so what does that prove.

DA was talking about what they say in England.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:14 pm

As an aside, take a local town to Peter myself and Sid, The Spanish to a man call it Torro, yet very, very few English call it that. Nearly everyone calls it Torrox, how do you pronounce it out of interest Peter?

Benalmadena, yes I do pronounce that the Spanish way :P

kevjohn
Tourist

Postby kevjohn » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Lolly ice! Perfect grammatical usage DA and I'm fully on board with the nugget too, if anyone round here even thought of pronouncing it noogar, they would have their pant pulled down and be publicly flogged :lol:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:12 pm

kevjohn wrote:Lolly ice! Perfect grammatical usage DA and I'm fully on board with the nugget too, if anyone round here even thought of pronouncing it noogar, they would have their pant pulled down and be publicly flogged :lol:

Shouldn't that be kecks? :mrgreen:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:20 pm

"Torrox, how do you pronounce it out of interest Peter?"
"Torrox" with my usual poor attempt at a rolled "rr"
I try to speak Castilliano rather than Andaluz with its avoidance of "s" sounds and other regional idiosyncrasies, in the same way that I try to speak BBC English rather than scouse, geordie or any other regional accent.
The well-spoken and the less so can both understand the proper way, the reverse does not always apply.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Well said POR. My South American neighbour owns a place in "TorroX". Never heard her say it any other way. Good enough for me, and my Andaloo neighbours here in in Torremolino can either put up with it, or go back to coli :silent:
BENIDORM wrote:Miro,
As you are from the Sarf and your missus is from the Norf, do you actually manage to have an understandable conversation ?.. :lol:
Debatable! :shh:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:16 pm

peteroldracer wrote: I try to speak Castilliano rather than Andaluz with its avoidance of "s" sounds and other regional idiosyncrasies,
Probably explains the great relationship with your local Spanish neighbours you have :mrgreen:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:22 pm

There is only one prat, the rest are great......

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:58 am

peteroldracer wrote: I try to speak Castilliano rather than Andaluz with its avoidance of "s" sounds and other regional idiosyncrasies,
In that case shouldn't you be calling the language by it's Spanish name, Castellano, as Castilian is the English version of it? :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:11 am

"shouldn't you be calling the language by it's Spanish name"
If talking or writing to a Spaniard, yes, but this is an English forum.... :roll:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 am

peteroldracer wrote:"shouldn't you be calling the language by it's Spanish name"
If talking or writing to a Spaniard, yes, but this is an English forum.... :roll:
But "Castilliano" isn't correct in English either - the English name for the Spanish language is Castilian! :roll:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 am

I call it Torrox when I am speaking to foreigners (ie not Spanish) but if I am speaking to local Spanish I call it Torrrro ...... as they do. I have only learned Spanish locally so try to speak the Andalus version. Some of our camposino neighbours have such a strong dialect it is almost impossible to understand them. I have never spoken the Castilian version (lisping the c's for instance), but find I am understood in other parts of Spain (Madrid, Galicia, Barcelona) OK. I think the whole point of pronunciation is that in the UK you say it the English way, eg Paris, but if you are in the country (France) you try to pronounce it the local way, ie Paree, so that you are understood.

Not that this helps the OP really, but using a name that can be pronounced by the Spanish would be a help. I have great difficulty with my own and my OH's name as it is a combination of letters not usually used here. I can spell it out in Spanish which helps.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:51 am

We've had Spanish friends here for years and the mother and daughter both insist on calling me "goose". Doesn't pose the same problem for the father and son :-)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:43 am

I spent twenty minutes this morning talking to a female goatherder. Broadest Andalus I have yet encountered. Worse than the old guys in the village.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 pm

As a response to the OP, I would say it depends where you intend to settle e.g. here in our little town there are a lot of ex-pats and many of them speak little or no Spanish, therefore they are much more comfortable using British "tradesmen".

Some of the so called tradesmen proceed to overcharge and take advantage although thankfully most of them get found out and eventually disappear back to the UK leaving behind, mostly, the genuine hard working ones, probably like yourself.

The Romanians here are also hard working and their rate is €10 per hour which includes any type of building work and they also work hard. Possibly would need a bit of supervision but some have been here 10 years or more and do excellent work for a reasonable price.

You'd be surprised how effective word of mouth advertising is and most of the people I know will use tradesmen on that basis. It's newcomers who get caught out when they first come here - I did with an aircon engineer who overcharged us and I had to have someone else sort it out afterwards but at the time I wasn't living here full time and wasn't in the know.

I don't think a business name is as important as getting known in the area you intend to operate from. A few satisfied customers spreading the word is worth a dozen adverts. You'll probably find the Spanish will use their own and in any case the language could be a problem for you.

Indeed if you intend to do building work you'll probably need to know some Spanish to use the local building centres for materials. I know you certainly do around here. I had to help a guy who had just come over as general handyman and couldn't tell the guy at the yard that he wanted them to collect the materials as his customer (first job since he had been here just 2 weeks) had decided she couldn't afford it. He asked me if I could speak Spanish and tell the guy what he wanted. After I sorted it out for him, he gave me his mobile number and told me his story. He used to be a plumber in UK and had decided he liked the idea of living in Spain but couldn't afford to retire at 60 years old so he was setting himself up as a builder handyman and could turn his hand to anything, electrics, pool maintenance etc. I wished him luck but his first job hadn't gone very well. He had no business card and just using his first name - Stanley.

Most of the general workers around here just use their names or initials and I suspect they pay no tax or are even registered and that includes Spanish, Romanians and Brits.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it