Insects in bathroom

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
lynndm
Tourist

Insects in bathroom

Postby lynndm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Can anyone please advise if you have found tiny insects in your bathroom after your property has been closed for a few months and how you dealt with them. We get very small butterfly-shaped flies but don't know where they come from other than, of course, the drains. We also had a few cockroaches found in the toilet is time - all dead - and a dead one was found on the bathroom floor but this may have been because I had put some cockroach gel in each of the corners. We have never, in 10 years, found cockroaches before now. Any advice is welcome!

Jenny1960
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Insects in bathroom

Postby Jenny1960 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 am

I was really hoping you would get some replies as I am having the exact same problem!
I've looked the insects up and they seem to be drain flies. I've tried everything to get rid of them to no avail.
I hope you manage to get rid of the horrible critters!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:04 am

So sorry to hear about this. Hope you here solutions soon

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:45 am

After a few months the water in the bathroom Traps dries out and there is a direct link from the cesspit/sewer into your bathroom.
Just putting the Plug in the sink can help but eventually the flies and critters can get up the overflow.
As for getting rid of them .... in most cases Anti mocca sprays work eventually

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Yes they come up through the plug hole. Either stick a plug in or cover with kitchen paper and place a tapas dish above it with whole coffee beans inside. This neutralises smells as well. I don't know about cockroaches - we have not had them inside the house, YET!