Encargado de Obras en Ayuntamiento

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Encargado de Obras en Ayuntamiento

Postby Erika » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 am

Hi. Im talking to someone about doing some home renovations and he has told me that he was an "encargado de obras" with the ayuntamiento before he retired. I'm not familiar at all with the names of construction industry jobs here in Spain, nor to be honest with the industry hierarchy in the UK or anywhere else either.
Can anyone tell me what level this job would be and how senior, and what the equivalent job title would be in the UK. Site foreman? Manager of Works? Overseer? Director of Works?

Fincaman
Tourist

Re: Encargado de Obras en Ayuntamiento

Postby Fincaman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Was he just describing his work or quoting his job title, I wonder. Obviously the literal translation is "in charge of works" but that could just refer to the ayuntamiento's local contracts for such things as road maintenance, i.e. clerk of works, as opposed to issuing building permits. I think only the Town Hall could enlighten you here as to seniority, just as "Clerk of Works" in the UK carries more responsibilty than anyone normal "clerk".
Restoring an old finca near Colmenar.

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Encargado de Obras en Ayuntamiento

Postby Erika » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:20 am

Thanks. Yes that was the problem I had ie not knowing the level of responsibility. I think he was quoting job title but still no way of knowing exactly where that sits in the hierarchy. Thanks for your response though. ☺