Appliance wiring

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Appliance wiring

Postby PavAmber » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi all
Tried a search as I can't believe this hasn't been asked before but no results.....

Our furniture should be arriving in next week or so complete with all our applicances with 3 pin UK plugs on. The usual stuff, TV, PC, Kettle, Hedge cutter, bedside lights, hair dryer etc.

Can you change to Spanish 2 pin plugs or am I about to buy an awful lot of adaptors? My google search left me even more confused!

I thank you.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Appliance wiring

Postby Enrique » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi PavAmber,
Use 2 pin plus earth as per ...........

http://www.spainbuddy.com/wiring-a-spanish-plug/

There is more info if you Google.............. :idea:

PS:Your furniture is it coming via jimbothescot........... only asking as not heard from him and I believe you are/were down the road from us in UK.. :?:
Last edited by Enrique on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi

I wouldnt recommend adaptors especially on high current items like kettles and irons.

It is quite simple to replace the plugs . Spend a bit of money on good quality rather than cheap Chinese shop items. Decent shops have a range of black, white side entry, straight out and so on. You can also get ones with a plastic loop to help pull put. Pair of wire strippers, screwdrivers and a Stanley knife usually suffice.

There is some debate as to whether guarantees are invalidated but i guess it is a long way to take an item back to UK so probably wouldnt be an issue.

Spanish plugs arent fused and can be inserted in two ways (180 degrees rotation) doesnt matter. You will also not find switched power outlets.

Hope that reassures you.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 pm

The lack of fused plugs and switched sockets is the reason I have UK sockets alongside Spanish ones throughout my house especially in the kitchen and garage.
Let's go Brandon!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi,
"Tried a search as I can't believe this hasn't been asked before but no results....."

It has..............

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19624&start=20
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:21 am

PavAmber wrote: Can you change to Spanish 2 pin plugs
Most Spanish "2 pin" plugs have 3 connectors.
The 2 pins that stick out for Line and Neutral and metal strips on the body that are for the Earth connection.
So most Spanish plugs have LNE just as 3pin UK plugs have.
You can get 2 pin plugs but these should only be on appliances that are double earthed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:33 am

The problem is that there is no distinction between phase and neutral. You can insert a Spanish plug either way around. I have put a dab of red nail varnish on all of my sockets denoting the phase connection and the same on the plugs otherwise an appliance with a single pole switch could still be live if the switch is in the neutral line.
Let's go Brandon!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:31 am

We just used adaptors and as things failed we replaced with Spanish bought items. We never had that much uk electrical stuff but when we bought years ago my wife sent over everything she had more than one of to get us started.

Surprising how many juicers and cutlery sets etc a woman can have. LOL

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:04 pm

For low current stuff (certainly below 750W or so), using a UK-ES (Schuko) adaptor is not unreasonable, as it retains the UK plug fuse. I've always thought it questionable that something small (like a radio, tablet or phone charger, small lamp) has no appropriate fuse protection except the circuit breaker upstream, which, for power sockets, is likely to be 16amp. It's quite possible that a small appliance mains lead could end up in smoke before the 16amp breaker tripped out! It's for that reason that UK plugs have the 3amp (red fuse) option.

Power-hungry devices (workshop tools, washing machines, kettles...) ought to have their UK plugs changed for Spanish ones, for no reason other than most of the UK-Schuko adaptors state that they are for Temporary Use Only, and are often rated 10amp max.

Many Spanish plugs are dreadful in design (by UK standards) and are difficult to wire tidily, especially with stout cable. One rather neat plug is the Solera 6566, which is right-angled (so doesn't stick out from the wall), and reasonably well built. It is available from good electrical shops:

The plug on the right is German made, and incorporates a double-pole illuminated switch. It is very well made. Pino Electrical in Torre del Mar sell both of these plugs, which might be of use to some here. (Photo is of workshop, not living area, in case you are wondering!)

In Spain, wall socket outlets with switches are almost unknown (I don't know of any). A few shown on the web (from Germany, and very expensive). One cheap way of providing a switch is to use one of the "switched adaptors" which everyone sells, and are available both single- and double-pole. Not very elegant, but at least they provide a means of switching off! Would not recommend for loads above 1500W or so, despite what it says on the item.
Chris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:09 pm

i can only re/itterate what the post near the start says. DONT BUY ANYTHING ELECTRICAL FROM A CHINESE SHOP !!!! they are JUNK.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.