POST WINTER MAINT

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

POST WINTER MAINT

Postby bbobandannie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:30 am

Having just got through our first winter with the pool still looking as clean as when we got here (even after that recent sandstorm/rain event) I was wondering whether there is anything we need to do to "freshen up" the pool for summer use? I noticed several maintenance products in the shops but my Spanish is not good enough to interpret the technical stuff. Any advice welcome.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: POST WINTER MAINT

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 am

it sounds like your doing a good job already.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm

We have always 'shocked' the pool just before the season starts - cloro rapido, or 'choque', 500 gram tubs, dosage 1 per 25 cu.m. So 2 tubs for an 8x4 pool. Read the label to see if you should run the pump in 'recirculate' mode or not.
The pool is unusable until the chlorine level drops back to normal. ALWAYS adjust the ph to 7.2 before you do it.
The shock kills any bacteria lurking in the water and if you get it right you are rewarded with a crystal clear pool.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks Racer, sounds like a plan.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:41 am

Sometimes now is a good time to change the filter sand. Very cheap and relatively easy to do (buy the correct sand of course!)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:29 am

Life of sand is about 3-5 years, and often overlooked. In time, it looses its sharpness (it becomes rounded) and doesn't filter so effectively.

If the usual Astral filter vessel, you will need gravel for the base fill (covers the jet fingers), and then filter sand on top of that.
Also replace the jet-fingers at the bottom (you may have between 6 and 10 of these). The fine slots in these can wear or become blocked.
Always use genuine Astral pool gravel, sand and parts. (Cheap sand is not size-graded, and will contaminate the pool with a fine dust.)

After removing the top of the filter vessel, the old wet sand can be easily sucked out with a wet-vac. This saves an awful lot of messy scooping. Add a bit of water now and again to aid the evacuation.
Chris