home improvement permits

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
StevieButler

home improvement permits

Postby StevieButler » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi, Im new to this site and I need some advice on how to get myself out of a sticky patch.
I've started doing work on my house without a permit. I've been told by all the trades that i'm having minor works and its not worth the agro.
Trouble is I have managed to get a permit for a skip.
The town hall has sent me a letter to ask what the skip is for and that an architect has been round to ask but neither me or the skip was there at the time.
The skip has now gone. I'm putting in 2 bathrooms and a kitchen and knocked a wall down to make the lounge bigger, along with a lot of old furniture.
What do I do? Go to the town hall and ask for the permits now as nothing has been installed yet.
Are they likely to come around and check. Am I likely to get a fine. Are they likely to say Im not allowed to do this work and I have to put it back the way it was.
Any help and advise would be appreciated
Thank you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: home improvement permits

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:16 pm

You may well get a fine for not asking for a licence, but as long as you are not changing the living areas you would normally have no problems getting a licence.

In some ways, they like you doing this as they end up with more money in the "Buy the Mayor a new Mercedes Fund".

Sid

StevieButler

Postby StevieButler » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks Sid,

el.once
Tourist

Postby el.once » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm

I don't know in which village your property is and each town hall is its own world (obviously they are guided by the same laws, but the application might be considered differently in each place). Especially the smaller villages are interested in issuing licenses, as it means money for the VILLAGE (hence I don't think the comment "buy the mayor a new Mercedes Fund" is appropriate). If your big works have been finished, you could argue that the skip was only for old furniture, but if works have to proceed and they will see you again tomorrow with a skip and/or building materials, it could be awkward and THEN a fine might apply. If they haven't seen you or have any evidence of building works been carried out, I don't see any possibility to give you a fine.
You would need a license for OBRA MENOR (no structural changes or extensions, which as well would require to get involved an architect). The cost for the license is - at least initially - guided by the cost (usually a quote from a builder or based on your own calculations) of the building works, paid in two steps: first part when you apply for the license, rest when the license is issued. You can take 5% total cost as a guide for the license (in my village 6,3%).