Pool problem

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
ajtg1952
Resident

Pool problem

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:31 am

This is my 10th summer looking after my own pool. I have always used 5 in 1 tablets in the summer and a floating diffuser in the winter. The pool has never discoloured, always sparkling. No one has ever been ill from using it or hair changing colour. Up until last summer, I've never tested the water.

When I did test the water on a couple of occasions, using one of these little testing kits, the chlorine level and pH were spot on.

However, last week I thought I would test the water and found the chlorine to be very high as is the pH. I took the tablets out for a week and tested today and it's exactly the same. Any ideas what this might be and hopefully a simple solution?

Flexo
Resident

Re: Pool problem

Postby Flexo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 pm

No idea but I assume the tap water is alkaline as it tends to be in all of Andalucia. My irrigation water is very high, often above 8. You might also have plenty of calcium or limestone available in the general pool area in contact with the water.

ashtondav
Resident

Re: Pool problem

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:27 pm

First thing you need to do is get the PH down. If it is very high I would throw in three or four mugs (not the silly little plastic cups that come in the tub) of PH minus, and check the PH level the next day. Repeat as necessary because chlorine will have no impact if the PH level is so high.

Sodium thiosulfate Reduces chlorine levels. It is a strange problem because IIRC high chlorine levels tend to reduce PH levels. Do not swim in a pool with too much chlorine as it can irritate skin, eyes and lungs.