Pump for Water deposit

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pump for Water deposit

Postby jaycecampo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:16 pm

We have had some work done and now we have so much air in the system we cannot receive water to the house. Tried so many different things, any ideas anyone to get the air out.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pump for Water deposit

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi,
Post a sketch of the water circulation to the house And mark any places you can get access to see if pump is actually working . Other members with similar setup will give advice.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Assuming you have a deposito and pump with demand valve (?). Air in the pipes after the pump should not affect anything, it is air between the pickup in the tank and the pump that will stop it sucking up the water. I used to detach the pipe on the ‘in’ side, fill this to the top with water from say a 5 litre container, then quickly reattach the pipe and press the pump start button, making sure there was one tap open to keep a demand on the pump. A few coughs and splutters and usually there was a flow thereafter. Turn on any taps that may have been open before this process one by one and the system shoukd work.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Agree with that, and the 'priming' technique.

Air in water arriving at a deposito should not be a problem, as it will disperse/bubble out (go flat). Important that the suction side pickup pipe of the pump is
(a) near the bottom of the deposito (say 10cm up), because it will be more air-free there, and
(b) an air-tight fit, so it is always full of water, and air cannot get sucked into it.

Deposito pumps are usually equipped with a non-return valve, so water cannot run back into the tank, possibly dragging air with it. Make sure this is the case. If need be, fit an additional non-return (one-way) valve on the output side of the pump.

Again, agree that air in the 'upstream' pipework (on the way to, or in, the house) shouldn't be a problem. It should just get splashily expelled when taps are opened.

If you are fitting a cartridge filter, to filter water pumped to the house, important that this is fitted on the upstream (output) side of the pump. Fitted on the suction side, tiny amounts of air can build up in it, and eventually/repeatedly cause the pump to malfunction.
Chris

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks a lot everyone. We have managed to get the water to run in the house. Still a lot of air in the system. We think we have found a leak in a pipe joint will investigate tomorrow, maybe that is the problem. The pump looses pressure sometimes and we have to press the re set button.