Self reclosing RCCB

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
yesSi
Tourist

Self reclosing RCCB

Postby yesSi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Hello all

Does anyone have any experience with the above. I just wondered if it's a good idea to install in our holiday home as I understand power cuts can cause quite a lot of damage to the electrics.

Will be grateful for any advice please.

Thanks in advance

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Self reclosing RCCB

Postby Lyric » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Terminology I expect but a self re-closing RCCB is a BAD IDEA. A CB normally trips on an overload or short circuit or maybe overheat, all essentially the same thing and reset is not advisable until the cause is located.
I suspect what you mean is a self resetting RCD which is what frequently trip. These seem to work well in my experience. If you are in the habit of leaving the power on while you are away, which is not a great idea in my opinion, then they are a good thing.

yesSi
Tourist

Postby yesSi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Lyric, hanks for reply.

You are correct, I used the terminology as listed in a post on another site. I read that some insurance companies require you to have a 'breaker' and that you should take steps to protect your electrical goods in a storm. I admit I'm not comfortable leaving the power on when we're not at the house.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:26 pm

The trip that insurance companies (and Endesa, for claim purposes) specify is a protection against overvoltage (sobretension in Spain).

They work by constantly monitoring the incoming phase (or phases) for a voltage over a pre-set level (typically 260v), and if they find it, instantly create a current path down to Earth. This trips out the usual RCD (ELCB/RCCD) and isolates the house from damage.

Overvoltage protectors themselves are automatically re-setting, so, coupled with an auto-reset RCD, would provide incoming supply protection and a unattended reset.

An OVP device for single phase occupies just one breaker slot. Three phases can be protected with three of them, or an 'all-in-one' 3-ph device, which can occupy 4 slots. I have one of the latter, and it cost about €120. Singles are around €35-40 when I last looked.

There are OVP's that have a trip-out of just 240v. Avoid them, I would suggest, as they are too close to normal mains voltage, and can cause regular nuisance tripping. An incoming 260v for a brief second will not damage household equipment or the installation, but will cut the supply.

Lastly, if choosing a domestic RCD safety trip, go for one with a 30mA trip current. Two other types are available: 3mA (for hospital operating theatres, etc) and 300mA for heavy industrial installations. Do not use these for home protection.

Installation of all these devices must be carried out by a competent electrician.
Chris

axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby axarquian » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 pm

I have had a 30mA RCD safety trip installed for about 3 years. I make frequent visits back to the U.K. and several times I used to return to Spain only to find that the power had tripped out due to a thunderstorm or something. I also found that my burglar alarm was useless as the backup battery had expired due to lack of charging. A local guy Oscar Pinazo installed it for me and now when I return to Spain I am confident that the fridge/freezer will not be smelling to high heaven and that welcome beer will be suitably chilled !

yesSi
Tourist

Postby yesSi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Again, thanks TorreDelAguila and axarquian for your very helpful points. We have seen posts by Oscar on other sites, so it's good to know what he installs does work.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Years ago I had a PM exchange with forum member "mowser" aka Dave (RIP) who gave me the details of a Circutor REC2 self reclosing RCCB or "INTERRUPTOR DIFERENCIAL DE RECONEXIÓN AUTOMÁTICA".
The details are here:
http://docs.circutor.com/docs/M98224801-20.pdf
Trouble is, I can't remember where to get them from. They are perfectly safe and approved electrical devices.