Water tanks, yes or no?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
allgram
Resident

Water tanks, yes or no?

Postby allgram » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi, as more and more water tanks seem to disappear from the roofs/terraces (Competa) to be connected directly to the mains I was thinking about having ours removed and am asking for advice on the advantages / disadvantages of having them taken down.
Thank you
allgram.

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Water tanks, yes or no?

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm

I should hang on to your tank, the mains supply in Competa can be a bit hit and miss, particularly in summer. At least with a tank you have a couple of days back up if the supply is cut.
Hardworking resident !!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 pm

I store 12,000 ltrs but I'm on mains water. Just because you never know what is coming up. This rain has been wonderful and may secure our water for another year. For those on this Forum who think Spain does not have a water shortage, they are wrong. Store as much as you can.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:16 pm

remember to use the tank water ocassionally rather than leave it festering away...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Yep, I have a big deposito linked to the mains. The garden watering is taken from the deposito which is then filled up from the mains, so freshened every day. Installed a pump next to it so now when the water goes off, as it does for 4 or 5 days in summer we have power showers every day. Paradise. Keep it, but fish out the dead snakes and rats every week or so and drop in a chlorine tablet.

allgram
Resident

Postby allgram » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 am

Hello, thank you all for your views and advice,our decision is made, we keep them.
Thank you.
allgram.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 pm

I wish we had tanks on our roof - they were taken down by the previous owner of my mum & dads house and when the water goes off its a total pita... especially if i needed to get ready for work.

On my rental property again, we used to have tanks, but for some reason they were disconected - probably leaking or going green where the house was vacant, its one of the "jobs" on my list for when it gets cooler - to re-instate them.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 am

ashtondav wrote:Yep, I have a big deposito linked to the mains. The garden watering is taken from the deposito which is then filled up from the mains, so freshened every day. Installed a pump next to it so now when the water goes off, as it does for 4 or 5 days in summer we have power showers every day. Paradise. Keep it, but fish out the dead snakes and rats every week or so and drop in a chlorine tablet.
Hi All

I am interested in the above comment about chlorine tablets in depositos..... Our sealed (lid fastened closed) deposito is freshened-up automatically from our well as we use water in the house and to top-up the pool, but we don't drink this water. We have never added anything to the deposito water to keep it 'clean' but wonder if fellow readers think that this might be an advisable way forward?

As always, any advice very much appreciated

Regards to all

Vincent