Spanish white goods brands - Which are best and which to avoid ?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Espana101
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish white goods brands - Which are best and which to avoid ?

Postby Espana101 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 pm

I am re-equipping a kitchen and most of the brands of white goods on offer are unfamiliar, esp at the lower / middle end of the market.

Are there any which are considered better than others, and any to be avoided ? At the moment, I am specifically looking for a fridge / freezer, but will soon also be moving on to other items such as an oven etc.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish white goods brands - Which are best and which to avoid ?

Postby El Cid » Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Balay is an excellent brand. It is essentially a Spanish version of Bosch.

There are plenty of non Spanish brands available such as Samsung. I recently bought a Samsung fridge/freezer and it’s great. We also have a Zanussi washer/drier, a Balay dishwasher, a Panasonic microwave, a Bosch oven and Balay hob and a second Balay fridge freezer. There is plenty of choice, but there are some cheap and cheerful Spanish brands to avoid although if on a tight budget, will do the job.. Stick with the names you are happy with.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 pm

You won't go far wrong with Bosch/Siemens/Balay. Bosch keep parts going for years, not expensive, and easy to obtain.
Avoid Teka (Spanish) and any Beko (mostly Turkey).
Avoid like the plague lesser-known Spanish brands of vacuum cleaner - mostly rubbish. Bosch again.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 am

Dyson for vacuum, Bosch, Balay and Panasonic for everything else. Beko are cr=p

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat May 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Personally i think Teka ok, the only difference for me is they seem to service the lower end of the market and their design not up to the standards of the brand leaders. I doubt they they be around as long if their stuff rubbish.
That's what is in my place and its fine, if it were my permanent home i would likely higher end. The other thing i think you need bear in mind is your type of place, if you put say high-end appliances into a rustic setting it will look completely out of place, i suggest this may be the reason for the plainness of some of their designs.
I do not like Beko as i think they look cheap, at the end of the day do you want to buy and pay for a Mercedes or buy a Seat.
I thought Teka German from the time i got the stuff new...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Some years ago Teka were the sponsors of the Real Madrid football team and currently sponser the basketball team.
The company’s origins were in Germany but until I checked that, always thought it was a Spanish company.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 26, 2018 4:03 pm

The energy rating is a clue...the lesser brands don’t seem to have the same level of technology as the top brands, and after a few years the savings by using an A+++ over an A or A+ will pay any price difference.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat May 26, 2018 5:24 pm

I had a Teka dishwasher. It stopped working, the Teka Tech bloke came here said it was dead as a dodo, then a local bloke mended it for 20 Euros

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 26, 2018 5:35 pm

The difference between Bosch and Balay is in the size and breadth of the range. For example a top of the range Balay will (rrp) cost about €800 whereas a Bosch can go up to well over twice that. The Bosch ovens have a huge number of features that the Balay ovens do not. That is why I replaced my Balay oven with a Bosch, not because it was better quality but because it offered the functions I wanted.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:18 pm

you dont mention a budget, but I would imagine anything is ok, it all has the same garentee?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.