Self build extension

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Self build extension

Postby elscouser » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 pm

IF i get permission from the town hall how much flexibility is there if I want to build my own small extension? I figure that if i get good advice, get the foundations right etc it wont be so difficult right?! Also my messy work will be covered with caps fina anyway?!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Self build extension

Postby gerryh » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:35 pm

No reason that I know of why you can't do the work yourself provided you feel confident in your own abilities.
As long as the town hall give permission and you build according to your approved plans/ specifications then you should be OK.
A lot of Spanish builders work looks extremely messy until it is rendered.
cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 pm

gerryh wrote:No reason that I know of why you can't do the work yourself provided you feel confident in your own abilities.
As long as the town hall give permission and you build according to your approved plans/ specifications then you should be OK.
A lot of Spanish builders work looks extremely messy until it is rendered.
cheers
Gerry
Gerry spot on!...thats exactly how it is....however if it looks good! No one can see what is under that plastering work..There is one tell tale sign ..just look at the external works...stone walls with more cement than stone..lol...yet some think they have a mansion :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:12 pm

You will need an architect to draw up the plans and submit the “projecto” to the town hall. The build must be exactly as described in the submitted plans with little room for flexibility if it changes the agreed built area.

You can do the work yourself but the architect will need to sign off the work and confirm that it is what was in the original plans. Without that sign off you will not be able to add it to your escritura which would mean that it becomes an illegal building with the possibility that you might have to demolish the extension.

The rules now are very strict and you really must respect them if you want to avoid problems. Some years ago (prior to 2002) it was easy to get away with anything you want, not any more.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:22 pm

One other catch is that the fee for permission to build is usually a percentage (here, 4%) of the professionally built cost, and not the inevitably much lower cost of materials/DIY. Pain.
Chris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Don't forget that any electrical or plumbing work will need to be signed off by someone suitably qualified who will probably charge a substantial fee !