Pool pipework - caution

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
TorreDelAguila
Resident

Pool pipework - caution

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 am

Have recently seem more than one pool surround/terrace being expensively dug up to replace pipework, usually to the skimmers.
Many builders used this stuff - flexible PVC pipe - as a quick way of laying buried pool piping...
PVC flex pipe 2.jpg
...instead of the preferred rigid piping, with appropriate elbows.

Problem with the flexi tubing is that it is attacked and degraded by chlorine:
- inside swells up and blisters, to expose a white inner layer
- pipe expands in length, and can form kinks and bends (and can then close up) where it is 'trapped' underground, or can break through the ground surface when not actually concreted down.

Skimmer return pipework is most vulnerable, because that is where many people place the pool tablets, and when pump is not running, the chlorine concentration builds.

Plumbers' merchants usually offer several types of PVC rigid tubing, one of which is "para piscina". There is only one type of flexi available, SFAIK, and it is not pool-grade, but intended for general waste (kitchen, shower...) pipework.

If your pool pipework has to be worked on, ensure this type of flexible pipe is not used.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

gerrynag
Resident

Re: Pool pipework - caution

Postby gerrynag » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:54 am

Yes, I was told that you should only use rigid pipe rather than the flexible type when I had my skimmers and pipework replaced.
Several people have told me not to put chlorine tablets in the skimmers as it rots the pipes, but turns out it only does that if you have flexible pipes, (which I think they did).