Electric fence

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Electric fence

Postby bbobandannie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Were soon moving to our new place near Coin and with us will be our 3 dogs. The problem is, though harmless lumps, they love escaping and wandering off for an adventure. The new place is fully fenced but in places it needs improving and in no place is it comcreted to the ground. Both our mastiffs are excellent diggers so i cant see the existing fence, even with some strengthening, stopping them for long. Therefore, im considering supplementing it with an internal electric fence. Does anyone know of a stockist or have any experience of using them.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electric fence

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am

somewhere like BigMat

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:57 pm

We bought ours from Guerrero in Coín to prevent the horses rubbing against the chain link fence. The transformers vary in power from elephants and giraffes to goats and dogs etc. Most have two outputs which are marked accordingly. They also sell the tape and other fittings including the stakes to which the tape is attached.

When we were originally looking we were told that you could only buy power units operated by a battery which turned out not to be true. You just plug the transformer into the mains and select the appropriate output.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks guys ill try both. I did start looking in bricomart and bauhaus witu no luck, hence not considering BigMat. Looks more likely to be stocked in the decent agro stores.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:43 pm

AgroMalaga (next to Lidl)in Cartama and Torres (opposite Lidl) in Coin both have all the kit.
AgroMalaga have several English speakers if that helps!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm

It was twenty years ago but it was Torres who told us that we had to have a battery operated power source. We just went across the road to Guerrera and found a mains operated one. I am sure Torres will now have mains ones as well but as a result of that we have always gone back to Guerrera which is just up the road from Lidl.

bbobandannie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bbobandannie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Im in cartama this weekend. Always found Agromalaga very helpful so I'll have a look. Thanks

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:02 am

I always find guerros to be cheaper than agromalaga.

Go to the one nearer lidl , theres one over the other side towards the feria ground (nice bar just past it on the right, churros before 12.00) but they seem to have less 'horsey' stuff and more seeds / plants / tools / hay etc
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.