Yeso Usage

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
annnewton

Yeso Usage

Postby annnewton » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:16 pm

What is the correct way to mix yeso?

Should I keep adding yeso to the water until it instantly gets to the consistancy I want or should I mix it until it gets to the single cream consistany and wait for it to start setting?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

yeso

Postby hillybilly » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:36 pm

I found even with the slow setting yeso that it has a very short bucket life and so it's best to mix it in small quantities. By the time you've climbed up the ladder and started to apply it it's already started to go off. So start creamy! We tried the quick setting stuff only once. Never again.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:26 pm

i can mix a whole bucket load and i can go and make a cup of tea.. come back to it and still use it ;)

i learnt from a spanish "yesorista" (i think thats right) he used to be employed on site.. JUST to make yeso!!!!

anyways. use a bucket of water and the SLOW yeso, YG is it ? and take yeso in ur hand and sprinkle it into the water. do not mix it up. just sprinkle sprinkle till u fill the water with yeso and have some dry on top.

when u want to use it, mix up a little bit at one side of the bucket. use the mixed bit straight away.

what the hell were u using yeso up a ladder for ?? prey tell. please say u wern´t fixing your roof with it ;)

fast yeso is good for some stuff, it has its uses. fixing piping and boxes into walls for electrical instalations. fixing a "straight edge" to a wall, fixing a "level bar" to the end of a wall so that the wall goes up straight... all sorts. :) dont knock it cos u cant use it ;) i´ve even seen it used as body filler on cars :roll:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:37 pm

Spanish Lad, you're hired, especially if your tea is half decent too.
I was using yeso up a ladder cos I'm not 7ft tall :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:51 pm

whats estepa like hilly? i´ve got friends in casariche, its like the back of beyond!!! (but then i spose, i live in alhaurin el grande, "little britain")

it seems very .. spanish, and is not really a place for non-spanish speaking newbies to go. hell, u might even know them? its not u that told them where the english shop is in estepa is it ?? ;)

anyways.. yes.. yeso is a very strange spanish invention. have you come accross yeso shelving yet ?? :shock: scary stuff :D

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:49 am

spanish_lad wrote:whats estepa like hilly? i´ve got friends in casariche, its like the back of beyond!!! (but then i spose, i live in alhaurin el grande, "little britain")
You seem to have led a very sheltered life there, don't know Estepa, don't know where Baza is? :D Try travelling outside of CDS, it's another world out there :D And a much better one, in my opinion.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:07 am

Estepa is a typical, pretty Spanish town, population 12000 so just over twice as big as Casariche. Official number of foreigners 115, most Moroccans. However there are approx 100 (if not more) British living here. Yes, an "English" food shop opened up this year. The town is big enough that you don't have to mix with Brits if you don't want. There is certainly no expat scene, meetings, bar etc. There are Spanish classes for foreigners at the Ayuntamiento and at a private college so that is where you will encounter the Brits. You have to be able to speak Spanish here. House prices and rentals still relatively cheap. Lovely architecture, castle, convents, cobbled hilly streets...
The town (actually it's officially a city by Royal Decree!) is now busy up until Xmas as all the mantecado factories have just sprung into life. If you want to know more you can read my article in the next issue of Living Spain magazine :wink:

kexon
Resident

Moron de la Frontera/Marchena/

Postby kexon » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 am

As we seem to be discussing various areas, can anyone give me any information on this towns, as much detail as possible would be appreciated.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:09 pm

frank wrote:
spanish_lad wrote:whats estepa like hilly? i´ve got friends in casariche, its like the back of beyond!!! (but then i spose, i live in alhaurin el grande, "little britain")
You seem to have led a very sheltered life there, don't know Estepa, don't know where Baza is? :D Try travelling outside of CDS, it's another world out there :D And a much better one, in my opinion.
FYI mr frank, i hate the cds. i would rather live in almeria or salobrena. i work in marbella, i holidayed in torrevieja last week. (i drove there from alhaurin, it took 4 hours.) baza i believe is near to granada, and probably too far to travel for work. i dont have a sheltered life at all, i just dont have tanks of fuel to drive around for no reason, some of us work for our money frank, we are not all retired and free to do as we wish all day...

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:05 pm

spanish_lad wrote:
FYI mr frank, i hate the cds. i would rather live in almeria or salobrena. i work in marbella, i holidayed in torrevieja last week. (i drove there from alhaurin, it took 4 hours.) baza i believe is near to granada, and probably too far to travel for work. i dont have a sheltered life at all, i just dont have tanks of fuel to drive around for no reason, some of us work for our money frank, we are not all retired and free to do as we wish all day...
Don't like your chioice of holiday destination, Torrevieja, even worse than the CDS! ;-) I have vowed never to go there again. That's tough, having to work for a living, not sure how you imagined the rest of us have managed to survive without doing it! Unfortunately, nobody has ever left me a penny, or likely to, so I have had to a bit of work myself, in fact, I've never been out of work. Having had to retire early due to ill health, I only wish I was capable of doing a bit more, but I can relax knowing that there are grafters like you about to look after us old 'uns in our dotage.
Regards, Frank

annnewton

Postby annnewton » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:15 am

Thanks for those anwering my queries on yeso

I wont bother checking this thread again seeing as it changed from yeso into concrete (CDS)

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:53 pm

Hey we live in Casariche, and it may be the back and beyond, but that's why we like it! Ok, so you have to speak spanish, the shops may be a bit 'different' to the UK and the pace of life is definitley slower but that's what we wanted. Also, even compared to Estepa, the cost of living is much lower . Our worry is the number of Brits that buy here, then expect to walk into well paying job without the necessary qualifications and language skills, than wonder why they are having difficulties - especially as there are local university graduates who can only find work for very low wages picking olives or working the minimum 14 hour days the matecado factories in Estepa require. There have also been complaints from our local expat community that there is nothing to do here in the evenings so I suspect it is also only a matter of time before we get the British bar, bingo, quiz nights etc and British food shop, but each to his own, it will be our choice if we participate or not.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:54 pm

i wasn´t meaning to sound like i was "putting it down" ... i was just comparing it to alhaurin :)

i´m sure my parents would much prefer to live there actually, theats the reason that they came to spain in the first place. unfortuanatly, due to work , or rather, having to work...we have to stay nearer the coast.

anyways, yeso is funny stuff. i tent to remove anything made with yeso and replace it with metla brackets screwed to the wall, i´m sorry, but i just dont believe in its strength for long term applications.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm looking forward to my next yesoing session so I can try your mixing method. Am presently tiling a roof terrace so no yeso involved.
I assume yeso shelving is shelving somehow stuck to the wall using yeso?!

kexon
Resident

yesso/moron de la frontera/marchena

Postby kexon » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:13 pm

Thanks to those who totally ignored our query,obviously wether it is better to live on the coast or inland was far more important.:(

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: yesso/moron de la frontera/marchena

Postby frank » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:42 pm

kexon wrote:Thanks to those who totally ignored our query,obviously wether it is better to live on the coast or inland was far more important.:(
Admittedly, the thread went off topic, me being as guilty as anyone, but the original question was about yeso. Start your own thread, and see what replies you get. Don't be disappointed if you don't get a lot of feedback, it's a very ambiguous question you ask. It very much depends on what you are looking for, each will have their advantages and disadvantages. Some love the coast, others hate it, and vice versa. Without you giving any details, it's difficult for the residents here to advise you.
Regards, Frank

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moron de la Frontera/Marchena/

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:22 pm

kexon wrote:As we seem to be discussing various areas, can anyone give me any information on this towns, as much detail as possible would be appreciated.
kexon. not being funny but this is called "hijacking a thread". start your own thread about it and you will get more response. people who are looking for things to do with YESO are looking in here, not the ones who will tell u about different areas.

holy S*it..i just AGREED with frank :lol: maybe we are not so different after all :lol:

yeso = evil. erm.. hilly (reminds me of red dwarf :D lol ) dont u dare use yeso on that roof, it WILL leak ;) yeso is .. non-awaterprooooof.

yeso shelving - i´ve seen it all, having worked in old houses - triangles made of yeso stuck in an alcove, with a "racione" on top to make the shelf. i hate them and will rip out any i see with avengance :lol:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:28 pm

jane grant wrote:only a matter of time before we get the...British food shop, but each to his own ...
hillybilly wrote:Yes, an "English" food shop opened up this year.

ho hum... :roll:

jane, do u get out alot? it seems that you have missed out on the english shop :)

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:44 pm

Have just caught up with this thread on yeso (which I had never heard of before). What is the difference between cemente cola and yeso? We have been using cemente (or possibly cementa) cola for many jobs like filling holes in walls inside and out, laying tiles etc.
Jane

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Yeso is plaster, cemento cola is general purpose, premixed (just add water) cement-based mortar with additives, to give adhesivity, for fixing wall & floor tiles etc. Comes in grey or white.