Pozo negro

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 am

grey water, black water - god, living in the UK has its advantages ie a bloody good water supply and drainage system. And natural gas. The stuff being posted here reminds me of my old man talking about growing up in Ireland about 1930! A hard life !

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:45 am

kevin77 wrote:living in the UK has its advantages
What, like extortionate council tax (how much per year exactly?!), humungous electricity and gas bills, ridiculous water and sewerage rates, the high price of beer, annual car tax (how much?!)...? Sky-high home insurance because your postcode is "wrong"? Rubbish collection once per week if you're lucky? Those sorts of advantages?
Ah, yes.....I recall now why I left. Thanks for the reminder.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:53 am

At least ive got a job Hillybilly!
Are you retired, a lot of Andalucia.com are.
And im not *beep* into a hole in the ground.
I pay council tax yes, and I get the best infrastructure in the world.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:09 am

septic tank - cesspit
are still used in rural areas throughout UK and Spain...and whole world...while
In towns and villages good water supply and drainage system
have replaced these systems that were..
popular in medieval times
However, some human brains remain unchanged.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:05 am

K
As yet nowhere near mains drainage, and don't think we will be any time soon! Have printed off this topic to show your local 'friendly' builder (do you know something about him I don't!)

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:11 am

Country Boy
Why is a shared septic tank fraught with problems. In this, case both houses are owned by the same person, both are currently used only as short term holiday accommodation (although K is busting a gut to get out here permenently!) and there are problems with the pipe work on the existing pozo negro (ie some of the pipes have collapsed and need repairing/replacing.) A spanish neighbour - who used to own one of the properties) was the one to suggest a shared tank. I used to live in a house in the UK where the septic tank was shared by 5 properties and apart from having to have it pumped out more frequently there were never any problems.
[/quote]

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:46 am

A good septic tank will not need pumped out. And the problems with a shared one is the possibility of one user pouring bleach or similar down the drains and killing the tank. Like anything that is shared, the partners need to be equally careful.
Slainte,
JohnP.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:49 am

kevin77 wrote:grey water, black water - god, living in the UK has its advantages ie a bloody good water supply and drainage system. And natural gas. The stuff being posted here reminds me of my old man talking about growing up in Ireland about 1930! A hard life !
Like you, I like Spain a lot, but in a lot of respects, it's almost third world! As you say, here, a perfect water supply that has never gone off, electricity ditto, I can turn on every appliance in the house without it tripping, (never been to Spain and not had a power cut at sometime, or something overloading the circuit and tripping it), I simply turn on the gas tap, I don't have to hump bombonas or logs about, . Bit cold? Turn the central heating up a notch. (not like someone recently telling us he has about a dozen large cylinders running his central heating!!) Never been in a Spanish house that wasn't freezing in the winter. There are people here telling us about receiving last Christmas's mail a few weeks back, and getting no deliveries when their postie goes on holidays. Reading in this forum, it would appear there is practically no one in the building trade, or legal prefession that can be trusted, they are all crooks.
Yes, things are certainly cheaper there, but if you are unfortunate enough to have to work, you have the salaries to match. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more and have services that work efficiently and on demand. Clearly, there are problems with both countries, but the continual suggestions here that all is fantastic in Spain is "una tonteria". I'm sure if people there were to be honest, there's a lot about Spain they would like to see improved.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 am

I can only speak for myself, but it came down to cost. I pay negligible amounts for "rates" and other such charges - about 50 euros per year total for them all. I have no bills for electricity(solar), water(private), heating fuel, road maintenance, rubbish collection, or anything like that. My house is wonderfully warm in winter because I have a really good wood-burning stove and I can reverse the trailer to the door of the kitchen to unload wood direct into the fireplace. My biggest cost is communication - phone and internet, but it would be similar in UK or anywhere else probably.
I moved here for my health in a decent climate - to delay the onset of arthritis after a big accident - I never felt this good in north europe climates.
Each to his own - if you sort out your living techniques here, it can be wonderful - it is for me :)
Slainte,
JohnP.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:12 am

Hi Jane
From an engineering point of view there is absolutely no reason not to have a shared Pozo or Septic Tank. I speak from a lifetime of dealing with people; both from a builders point of view, a local councilor and as a suffering neighbor!
Anything which is shared is a potential cause of argument and grief, it may well start off amicably with all parties in accord; along comes a change of ownership or a big bill and the bickering starts.
All I'm saying is: If it can be done separately it is best done so, for now and for the future.
Cheers

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:54 am

jpinks wrote: My biggest cost is communication - phone and internet, but it would be similar in UK or anywhere else probably.
Cost is probably similar, probably not cheaper. I pay £15 a month for 2mb broadband, and phone, whilst I can't avoid paying BT's £40(?) a quarter rental, all my calls are made via 18866. (2p a minute to phone Spain, just phoned Portugal, 2p) We frequently hear of people in this group having problems getting broadband, or even a landline sorted out, plus whilst I don't like the Sky dishes we have here, they seem almost miniscule compared with the mini Joderal Banks you see installed on properties in Spain. (and all to pick up UK TV!). Glad you're happy there, but is there nothing you can fault, or is it truly paradise? :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:02 pm

kevin77 wrote:At least ive got a job Hillybilly!
Are you retired, a lot of Andalucia.com are.
LOL! I'm still a long way off retirement unfortunately.
Yes, I have a very good and enjoyable job, thank you for caring. And mains water and sewerage too!
And I only have to work at most a couple of days a week to make a decent living whereas in the UK I was regularly working 70+ hours a week, living in a polluted city, driving up and down congested motorways....I'll stay here thanks!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:07 pm

My last but one house in England had a well water supply and a septic tank (shared between 4 houses) and it was so cold in the winter I used to get ice on the insides of the windows, so in fact I have better facilities and comfort here in Spain!

edna

Postby edna » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:18 pm

Dear Jpinks,

I agree with your point of view, I know many will not. You say you have solar power, this is something I am looking into for when our property is ready, can you tell me more about what size you have and what it will run.
Sorry to change the subject.
Many thanks.

k
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby k » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks all for expanding on detail. It has helped me make up my mind on this project.
Jane, it's a good job I made a nice comment isn't it !
Frank, I have a fantastic, honest builder but I am not sharing him with anyone !

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Pozo negro

Postby boblocksmith » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:39 pm

We are in process of purchasing a reformed (5years ago) property in Almeria and have been told the sewerage is via a pozo negro - - I assume the grid outside the garage at the rear of the property is the cover for it. In my ignorance I assumed that this was a septic tank - - I am a little concerned reading this forum that it is just a hole in the ground , which according to this forum, is a 'system' that just seems to seep raw sewerage through a brick filter!! Should I be concerned??? Does this pozo nego need emptying? I cant believe that this system can work without odours!?? Can anyone reassure us ????
Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi boblocksmith,
The norm round here is for "the black hole", 1mt cement high tubes set into the ground, seems to work ok, no smells if used correctly ie. no bleach or chemicals.
Depending on the ground drainage, if ok shouldn't need emptying .
Our original "system" was a 1mtr tube out onto the land that fed a fig tree, great figs :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Pozo Negras are still being built even though they have been illegal for a number of years.
Fosa Septicos are the accepted solution.
They are designed with 3 chambers such that bacteria break down the waste and clean water flows out.
Contaminated liquid flows out of Pozo Negras. That is whty the Spanish advice that if there are a number of houses built on a hill side then don't buy the one at the bottom of the hill. :?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks for the replies -fortunately we are at the top of a slight hill !!

boblocksmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby boblocksmith » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Grey water from washing machines etc - I can understand the logic of using this for irrigation but if liquid is designed to seep out of the pozo negro system I would have though that it would be an advantage to have as much grey water as possible which would then dilute the raw sewage ? Also I have heard that maybe they dont need emptying for many years and only then if there is a build up. SO - - to keep the discussion at a basic level! - - what happens to all the toilet paper - when I think of a years supply bought at the supermarket and then imagine that quantity in the pozo - - - ! Does it dissolve? If not then the pozo will need regular emptying - - - -Is it only me that worries about these things in my dreams at night???? :mrgreen: