"Inland"

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:51 am

Susan2
at least learn the language and thereby appreciate more of Spanish culture. It can only be to our benefit
Very good advice. Its never too late to learn. :lol:
I have a friend, who after 10 years living in Marbella could not speak more than a couple of words of Spanish..she missed England..well all the good things she remembered... rented out her house.. and returned to England...to return a year later..with a lot more knowledge of Spanish and Spanish customs..she had spent most of the long evenings learning...since her return she finds her life in Spain enriched...and is constantly amassed.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:10 pm

He/she had a vision and saw the light then :) Seriously I know people who went back to the UK and couldn't settle, some of them moved over to florida though.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:19 pm

I have a friend, who after 10 years living in Marbella could not speak more than a couple of words of Spanish..

youre absolutly right Silver, after couple of years in Puerto Banus, I never need to speak Spanish in fact if I needed to translate official documents I went to the neighbours, (4 years in Spain working at an english estate agent) and their teenage children would translate it and even ring up the town hall if necessary. We only met english people or Spanish people who worked in english companies. All the tradesmen spoke english as they almost excuslively got their work from english people.

Since we moved and dont get Sky or BBC, i;ve had to learn spanish - or rather try to learn :oops: I've missed out on so much of the rich culture of Spain by not have a good command of the language.

cannydanny

Postby cannydanny » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Nikvin wrote:as it happens Granada city centre had an "english Bar" about 25 yrs ago, maybe more...pretty unattractive, a kind of theme pub idea, supposed to recreate a typical Uk pub!!!!!!!! was vey naff.... but the local youth thought it was brill, with dart board, snooker table, warm beer, pint mugs, and not a tape in sight , and evreyone trying to speak English.
The only thing it didnt have was the UK prices, thank god
The irony of it is that most other countries enjoy the English traditions, you can find old red telephone boxes in pubs all over the world, youths wearing Union "jack" Tshirts in places you never even new existed. Then you have the "others" usualy living in the campo who look down thier noses at all thing English and look as if they are chewing lemon.
You can come with me to Iraq if you like and find out exactly how much they enjoy our traditions there, idiot!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:07 pm

Come on guys, be nice, stick to the topic :)

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:50 pm

He thinks nice is either a biscuit or a place in France. He can't even stick to his own storylines never mind the topic. Come on katy, you know topper better than that.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:53 pm

You can come with me to Iraq if you like and find out exactly how much they enjoy our traditions there, idiot!
we blow innocent people up, they blow innocent people up. We have idiots claiming to be trained warriors, they have idiots claiming to be trained warriors.

I think they are enjoying our traditions to the full.