Roof Problems

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:04 pm

Conehead - just pop into Colmenar, go to Garcia and ask for young Manolo if you want an English speaker (although both the owning brothers understand and can speak more than they let on...)
The PVA is called Latex Plastico, with the trade name "Conrayt". I bought it there in a 5kg translucent tub, with blue labelling. Can't remember how much it cost, but it cannot have been much as I have not shaken off the meanness absorbed during my 35 years in Yorkshire!
Garcia will get you anything if they haven't got it, but they have a big range on two floors and are really helpful - never found any evidence of dual pricing either! I found the PVA on the row where the paints and varnishes are, near the brushes. The shop is up at the top of town at the eastern end, near the Hotel Belen and the new Dia% - further directions if required!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:05 pm

Just looked in my PROPAMSA catalogue and they make their own brand of additive called Propam Emulsión but it's probably twice the price of non-branded PVA!

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Many thanks to both.

Know Garcia well :wink:

Used them many times and they seem to have most things at a price that is less than the coast although limited on some of the pipe fittings!
Did themselves out of a supplying a new water pump by telling me where to obtain the spares I wanted for an old one I had scrounged!

Manolos English is definitely improving!!!!!!

Now must wait for the rain to stop, roof/wall covered in a plastic sheet, to try to at least start this job, one of many!
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Just bringing back to the top of the pile.

Where can one find the genuine PVA?
I went to Garcia in Colmenar, could not find the product recommended by peteroldracer, Conrayt, Latex Plastico but came away with something called Plastificante which is just a Plasticiser, as the label says. Works well as that but its not PVA
Now have tried at Bustos and was told that I was the second person recently to ask for PVA but they had not got it. Was offered a white liquid additive that is supposed to improve the waterproofing qualities of mortar. They use it for swimming pools! :o
But it does not have the glue content of genuine PVA which I need as I have to apply a render coat that starts very thin and increases in thickness to make a reasonable looking job.

So does anybody know where to purchase the real stuff! Very much doubt if I could fly with the stuff as it would be on the banned list without a lot of paper work.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:47 pm

Conehead would have thought it would be no problem to have PVA in your hold baggage as it is not volatile. I have brought PVA wood glue over with no trouble.
Grouser

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:55 pm

I've taken PVA in my hold baggage without any problems. It's not flammable or dangerous unless it leaks all over the contents of your case.

The only thing I found near it in Spain was a water soluble wood glue, but they only sell it in small bottles and it still is not PVA.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:54 pm

Conehead. - I'm pretty sure I saw some in Carnos near the petrol station.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Spanish PVA is made by Chubb
http://chubb.es/
Called Chubb Silimper Impermeabilizante, Base Aqua
Grouser