Processionary Caterpillars

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ajtg1952
Resident

Processionary Caterpillars

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:19 pm

We have a lonesome pine we planted some years ago. It's now about 20 feet tall now and has produced cones this year for the first time. However, I have also removed about 25 processionary caterpillar nests, at least half of them active about 4 weeks ago.
I thoroughly checked the whole tree to make sure I hadn't missed any, but today I've removed another 6 nests.
We maybe heading for a bad year!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Re: Processionary Caterpillars

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Glad we don't have any pine trees near us but will keep a lookout.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:27 pm

We have a big pine tree near our front door but not on our land (will check with our landlord). we have noticed a few nests. been googling about the dangers. seems quite scary. can the hairs go into the air from the nests as it gets very windy sometimes where we are or is it only an issue when they start coming down?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm

The Town Halls are supposed to deal with the nests but don't, check out the pines on the circumnavigation from 'your' roundabout into the village. They are usually loaded with nests, action - nil.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Noticed a few nests in a pine tree between Benamargosa and Salto de Negro. Don't know if they have been dealt with as we were about to leave for a visit to UK and not back yet. (Next grandchild due but decided to be late).
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 am

Lyric wrote:The Town Halls are supposed to deal with the nests but don't, check out the pines on the circumnavigation from 'your' roundabout into the village. They are usually loaded with nests, action - nil.

thanks. ill have a look

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:45 pm

I've just pulled out the biggest nest I've ever seem. Several hundred caterpillars just about to leave.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 pm

They got their marching orders then!

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:45 am

This year in Grazalema they are at plague proportions, (even after chemical sparaying by airplane 3 years ago)... The chemicals used were organophoshates and diesal oil... It destroyed everything apart from the hibernating caterpillars in the ground from previous years so now we have a plague again.... These caterpillars can stay in the ground for years waiting for the right conditions so as we have had a warm winter the ones coming out are probably from recent years at the same time and not just last years...
I wrote a bit about them and their lifecycle here..
http://wildsideholidays.co.uk/dangers-o ... erpillars/

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Our neighbour has 2 massive pine trees, just a few mtrs from his house, they have the nests in again this year, so if I go to the end of our garden I am caught by the hairs being blown about in the wind. Our neighbour is going to the town hall to ask permission to chop the trees down. He is disabled, so clearing up the caterpillars as they walk across his patio is difficult for him. Last Saturday I went and checked that there were no more walking about, as I was concerned about his dogs, so for my kindness I have the itchy rash on my neck.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:22 am

The man came, said the trees could come down! Now our view is totally different, a shame, but I can now go to the end of the garden and not worry!