Magnificent Oleanders

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Trooperman
Resident

Magnificent Oleanders

Postby Trooperman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 am

I drove along the A92 motorway just north of Antequera yesterday, with the beautiful and magnificent oleanders forming a floral barrier in the central reservation. Superb rounded, flowering shrubs with blooms of differing hues: white; deep carmine red; light pink and darker pinks; offset by various shades of foliage; all extremely healthy and an oasis of colour in an already parched landscape. They were at their peak of flowering and a testament to whoever designed the planting. Then, around the exit for Mollina, there was the misnamed "conservacion" operatives, having coned off a lane of this artery, with cutting equipment, butchering those exquisite specimens and reducing each shrub to about 1.5 metres high, taking off 95% of the flowers and removing, in one fell swoop, all that was uplifting and pleasurable about that journey.
Philistines! (with a capital F)....or is it just me?
nil illegitimum carborundum

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Magnificent Oleanders

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:16 pm

No, I agree - we saw a similar situation some years ago on the ronda norte in Antequera - a real shame :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I can understand the possible requirement to prune them, but not when they are in full bloom.

They are beautiful plants. We have a hedge about 60m long and about 4m high in red and white alternately.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 pm

CID, do you water them? I have looked on the Mways and some have a visible water hose, while others appear to be dry.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Last summer I forgot to turn the tap that connects them to the irrigation system with no apparent effects, so at the moment they are still dry but they are in great shape. They seem to survive with just the winter water once they are well established.

You see them in barrancas that are dry all summer and there the seem to flourish.

Sid

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Spaniards consider adelfas to be weeds !!

Cutting them back is good for the plant, in particular to establish shape, etc. Usually done from Sept. onwards.

We notice that our townhall and Cabildo haven't a clue about plants in general. In the case of adelfas, they plant them too close together. Much better to give them space.

Our Granja Experimental has been banned from selling the plants. That's how much the locals hate them.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:31 pm

jhonie99 wrote:Our Granja Experimental has been banned from selling the plants. That's how much the locals hate them.
Maybe because it has become invasive or maybe because it is extremely toxic both to humans and animals. I don't know how many times I have heard about Oleander killing someones expensive pet.