TAKING CARE OF FRESHLY DUG UP WASHINGTON ROBUSTO PALMS BEFORE SELLING

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Nigel.jones
Tourist

TAKING CARE OF FRESHLY DUG UP WASHINGTON ROBUSTO PALMS BEFORE SELLING

Postby Nigel.jones » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi everybody,im hoping someone may be able to give me some good advice on the best way to preserve freshly dug up washinton palms whilst there stored waiting to be sold,im starting to think that they have to be replanted as soon as possible,my dilema is i planted 700 such palms 5 years ago with the intention of giving myself work to do when i eventually come over full time,which is fast approaching,but until im there full time,i have had some enquries off people wanting to purchase a few,so i was hoping to come over,and along with my gardener and a mini digger,take up about 20 ready to sell,they vary in size from between 3 ft high and 9ft high,any tips would be most useful,many thanks,

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: TAKING CARE OF FRESHLY DUG UP WASHINGTON ROBUSTO PALMS BEFORE SELLING

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Put them in a large pot. That's how the ones I bought years ago arrived and they are now huge.

Sid

Nigel.jones
Tourist

Postby Nigel.jones » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:23 pm

hi,thanks for that,how big were the ones you purchased,im guessing some of these could be about 3 feet diameter around the base,if i can find some big enough pots,that will be perfect,many thanks sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 pm

They only need to be big enough to hold the root ball which is surprisingly small. Our small ones were about 60cm trunks and about 2m tal when bound up. The pots were only about 10cm across. We had a triple one which was a bit bigger and that was about 1m across. They are now about 10m tall!

You need to trim off all but the newest fronds and tie them up.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:44 pm

What is the watering regime during the summer for these please?

I am doing one watering can a week but suspect they might need more!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Start by cutting off a little bit of the roots outside the rootball you intend to dig up before digging up the entire palm. Also remove some of the palm fronds (not all but it will be less shocked and will recuperate faster after replant). Be very careful with sun, heat and wind during transportation. Replant in proper soil and the same soil as has been dug up at the new site, root ball should be placed at a hill in the pit (the pit should be wider than deep). Be very careful with the trunk and don't use nails to fasten any stakes at new location.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm

olive wrote:What is the watering regime during the summer for these please?

I am doing one watering can a week but suspect they might need more!
Mine are on the garden irrigation system and get watered every day. Our palm man said that we are giving them too much which is why they are growing 1m a year and need their flower shoots cut off twice a year! I must cut the irrigation down next year or they will get too tall. The flowers, if we allow them to form are a real pain as they get everywhere and they are also a few metres away from the pool. I didn’t dare tell him that they get fertiliser as well through the irrigation system.

At first it is wonderful to see how they flourish but we need to start being sensible about it!

Sid