Growing stuff from seeds

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
swerve
Resident

Growing stuff from seeds

Postby swerve » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 am

Hello all. I'm very interested in growing trees/ plants from seeds. Has anyone successfully grown tamarind from seeds. Has anyone got any seeds I can have??
I'll list the plants/ trees I've successfully propagated if anyone is interested. Please respond with any plants/trees that you have had success with.

Thanks again.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Growing stuff from seeds

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:06 pm

not in Spain but UK - passion fruit :-) - my son brought home a passion fruit that was past its best, so once we'd eaten the flesh, I shoved the seeds, unwashed, in a plant pot. Acouple of weeks later, the pot looked those ones you get as a child growing cress ! I repotted them in clumps, and gave away about half adozen pots, then repotted what was left more or less individually. I've now given away a further 7 or 8 pots, and I've still got 6 individual pots plus one I will keep with 7 seedlings in. I've done nothing special - I filled the pots with recycled compost rhat was mixed with soil, stuck the pots on an old metal tray, and left them on the kitchen table where they get plenty oh sun/light, watered them from time to time :-)
Didn't have the same success with the papaya seeds I planted at the same time tho' - I think they were got by bugs as seedlings :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 am

We had good success with jacaranda trees grown from seeds pinched from the ones growing in the local town streets. Break open the hard brown seed pods and plant the seeds in compost mixed with a bit of clay-like soil, water, watch them grow.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 am

The best time to plant Seeds is when the first rains arrive in October ... not Spring, like you do in the UK

Daisymay1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Daisymay1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Any advice on throwing seeds onto the hillside that we recently moved soil too, would love wild flowers or poppies anything really to help heal the landscape. Could really do with some advice. We are in Comares.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Poppies seem to be one of those frustrating weeds that only grow where they want to and not where we would like em to ... worth a try though. Whatever you throw down may need some initial watering ... otherwise expect to use local weeds seeds (gather them yourselves) and pull up anything you dont like after they come up - expect them to die down in the summer though if there is no irrigation available.
Have you thought of succulents instead - in autumn get some bits of any sort of succulent, stick em in a bucket for a week or so and then put onto the land, spacing out so they can spread, cover lightly with a bit of soil to hold them in place and hope they take root. They will need the least attention and cope with least rain/watering. If you have a yucca lying about, chop a stem into several pieces, particularly if you can see a nub of a side shoot, and put them securely in the ground and more often than not they will flourish too.
Best time to do any/all of this is just after the first autumn rains, with the hope of more rain to bed them in.
Cheers

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Had a lot of success with critical mass and cream caramel seeds. Huge plants :crazy:
Regards

Bob