Sweet dessert cherry trees

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Sharpey

Sweet dessert cherry trees

Postby Sharpey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi all......has anybody got experience, knowledge and recommendations for the best variety/varieties of sweet/dessert cherry trees that we can grow on our land in the countryside around Colmenar? There is a village not too far from us called Alfarnate which has a great cherry festival each year......but I want to check if those same trees would be okay for us to grow.......at nearly 2000 feet above sea level and on quite rocky/infertile ground, etc. Any help will be very gratefully appreciated (including recommendations around specific garden centres I might search for them in.....but maybe that's an ask too far?) Thanks all......
Sharpey

telboy
Resident

Re: Sweet dessert cherry trees

Postby telboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:09 pm

My wife recommends the variety named 'Bing' sweet cherry. You need at least two that will flower at the same time so they can be pollinated by bees/insects etc - so purchase the same variety. Most garden centres don't have a great choice of cherry trees, so visit as many garden centres as you can, take note of variety names and make use of google.

We are at 2600ft above sea level and have two of the Bing variety, they are approximately 3metres tall, we have a clay soil they produce a decent amount of fruit yearly, be sure to purchase olive type nets nets to keep birds from eating the maturing fruit and plant them in a sunny position with a decent space between each tree.

I hope this helps

terry

gerrynag
Resident

Re: Sweet dessert cherry trees

Postby gerrynag » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:02 pm

I know that this is a bit late, but have only just seen the post. The previous post said that in order to pollinate 'Bing' sweet cherry, you need to have two of them. This is not correct, the second cherry should be a different cherry that flowers at the same time as 'Bing', it won't pollinate if both trees are the same variety. This is generally true for cherries,apples and pears. Suitable cherry varieties that will pollinate 'Bing' are 'Sam', 'Van', 'Montmorency', 'Rainer', 'Stella', 'Compact Stella' and 'Garden Bing'.
This is a useful link that shows polllination tables for Apples, Pears and Cherries:-

http://www.amherstnurseries.com/FruitTr ... id-51.html