Potato like weeds

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Stalvik
Tourist

Potato like weeds

Postby Stalvik » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 pm

In Martos where we live there’s a type of weeds that is growing everywhere including in my garden. It looks similar to potato plants. Big bushy leafy plants and when I tried to get rid of them they had really deep set tuber roots. Anyone know what it’s called?

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Potato like weeds

Postby Floriana » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Check this out: Mirabilis jalapa

I think you will find this is your plant. Very pretty but difficult to get rid of if in the wrong place (although I've not tried glyphosate on it).

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:01 am

If Floriana is correct in identifying your plant, it can be a good addition to a spanish garden, in the right place - they die off every winter and come back up in the summer, flower freely in different colours, deep pink, or yellow, usually but often stripey petals and the main claim to fame is the wonderful smell in late afternoon and into evening. They seed themselves freely and copiously - so beware! And the seeds are, I believe, poisonous ... They grow in the south of france where they are known as Belle de Nuit (night beauty), not to be confused with the Dama de Noche - Lady of the Night - spanish plant which is a tall woody bush with tiny white flowers in late summer which have a powerful nift at night.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabilis_jalapa

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 am

Yes Gasman, they have flowers in multi colours, very pretty and they die off in winter, you just need to keep on top of them a bit or the whole garden will be covered! After all, weeds are only just plants in the wrong place....

Stalvik
Tourist

Postby Stalvik » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 pm

It is indeed marvel of peru. I found some flowering specimens and ran it through an identification app. Will not try to get rid of them now that i know what it is. They are in flowerbeds so I don’t think they’ll spread anymore.
Thank you all.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Mirabilis jalapa - or more commonly known as '4 o'clock plant'.

terry