Does the team think

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Does the team think

Postby Lyric » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Hedge looks like it is dieing. it is well established coming with the house 10 years ago. We have had it capped a few years ago and it thickened up beautifully. This is new this year.
I think it might be important that the Eucalyptus behind is showing signs of death, as is the conifer to the left of the picture.
Thoughts ?
Hedge 1.jpg

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Does the team think

Postby country boy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm

From the 'photo it looks as if the problem might be "Airbourne", is there anything up wind that might be significant?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Could be just dry conditions. However,as it is happening to several bushes/trees in proximity it is likely to be a disease.
Maybe root crown rot?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 pm

In the line of the shot further on there are more dying trees. so we think it's disease. Anything to be done or do we look to a wall.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:37 pm

You could leave it and see if it recovers. Conifers are quite hardy. I cut mine in the uk a few years ago and over done it with the electric trimmer. 12 months later as good as new.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:50 pm

That is the plan, removal is awkward and would probably ruin the terrace round the pool, maybe even some of the pool plumbing, it's the skimmer end and who knows where the pipes run.
(Repairing the front terrace starting today has revealed a whole new nightmare)

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 am

There is "Honey Fungus" here in Spain: I had a tree die when I had my finca and found copious quantities of white fungal strands in the soil.
The RHS always had amazingly complex instructions for dealing with it, (look up their web site: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=180 ) but sometimes you just have to plant other resistant varieties.
nil illegitimum carborundum