Summer grass watering

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Summer grass watering

Postby championc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:25 am

Hi all,

I am in an urganisation and we appear to be over watering the grass. It is my belief that most of the water just disappears into the subsoil. Rather than watering for 20 mins every second night, I feel it would be better to water for 5 mins every night. Of course, there is the factor of how much water comes out of each sprinkler.

Is there a guideline on m3 per 1m2 of garden space ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Summer grass watering

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 am

When I had a lawn it was watered every day and it worked out at about 20 litres per M2. That was an "English" type of lawn. If yours is typically coarse Spanish grass it will probably be less.

I could afford to be generous as our water is very cheap as it is from an agricultural supply.

Sid

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am

If its on an unbanisation the water used for watering may be "grey" water. This comes from sinks, showers etc within the urb. and will get filtered as it is absorbed by the grass/soil.
Hardworking resident !!

championc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby championc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 pm

The water is from the Galasa main supply

Thanks for the guidance El Cid - it's guidance and a place to start

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:22 pm

We water our grass for about an hour.. maybe two .. most nights.. its a sprinkler from lidl that goes on the end of the hose ?

Whats the issue, is it affecting the grass? I mean, is it dying? or you feel that the urbanisation is using too much water? Is the water bill really high?

I dont get it, i mean.. why do you ask about it, there must be a reason, no?

I think if you look at the seed boxes in the garden centre it tells you how much water certain types of grass need, but then, even when presented with evidence they would probably tell you to mind your business ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.