water system damage to palm trees?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

water system damage to palm trees?

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Recently I have had a watering system (rotating sprinkler sort) installed in part of the garden ... I have noticed that the sprinkler near a mature Washingtonia palm tree is soaking the lower trunk of said tree ... ?is that soaking of trunk likely to cause damage to said palm tree?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: water system damage to palm trees?

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:07 pm

The Washingtonias on our lawns have been regularly soaked in this way for the past twenty five years. They are all thriving and even the smallest is over twelve metres tall. We have to hire regularly a large cherry-picker in order to remove the dead fronds and abundant seed pods.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Beachcomber: that's really good to hear ... most helpful and reassuring ... thank you ...(my palms are almost at cherry-picker height ... another year maybe ..!)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:39 pm

If you want to keep them under control, cut down the watering or they will grow too fast. We water ours at little as possible but there are other plants involved. We have to have them cut twice a year but I bought a huge ladder and our gardener does them for €10 an hour. They are positioned close to the pool so the flowers and seeds are a real problem.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Yes, I agree. I have a serrucha on a long extendable pole and some portable scaffolding but, even so, the tallest ones are now way out of my reach which is why we need the cherry-picker.

Unfortunately it cannot get near enough to the ones on the lawns which are too far from the driveway so a man comes with what he calls a 'bicicleta' and climbs up the trees to prune them twice a year.

We have seventy six palm trees and all but two of them were grown from seeds!