occasional internet access

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

occasional internet access

Postby Flashman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:04 pm

hi folks

what's the best way for accessing internet when staying at holiday home in Valle de Lecrin area. ideally we'd love to be able to stream iplayer/NowTV etc as well as the usual browsing. I don't seem to be able to find a PAYG deal that gives enough download for streaming or alternatively a monthly option that doesn't cost an arm and a leg considering we're only there a few days every couple of months or so....

any bright ideas?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: occasional internet access

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Some companies let you payg. The monthly fee is usually a bit more than a permanent 12 month deal. Not sure if Teletec are in your area.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am

Why don't you look at what's available in the UK and use that. If you have a contract there, you could buy more GBs or set up a non contract PAYG.
I used O2 which if I remember well was unlimited data for 25 pounds. You then use your phone as a hotspot, come router.

From last June everything changed and roaming in the EU is the same cost and conditions as if you were at home

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

thanks for the suggestions folks

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 pm

We are with 3 mobile. 70 GB data UK 30 GB hotspot. But can only use 13 GB when in Spain. The fair use policy kick's in.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm thinking a Spanish PAYG sim with movistar is the way to go (unless somebody tells me different). just back from latest visit, partner and I both with EE but again had no sniff of a signal ("NO SERVICE") all week. we were with 2 friends who were with other UK providers (1 of them BT) and received 4G via movistar. not sure why our EE doesn't jump on the same signal, clearly it used to as we had no problems this time last year. I thought when abroad they just piggy backed the nearest antenna

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Not sure what phone you have but on iPhone you go into settings, click on carrier and take off automatic. It then picks a 4g if one is available in your area or the strongest signal.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Same with android. Just manually select a network in settings

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 pm

GENIUS! once again andalucia.com proves it's worth, thank you costakid and the rest. if this works (back out there in april) i'll be very happy... so will the teenagers among us

cheers