Amazon Echo now availabe in Spain

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Amazon Echo now availabe in Spain

Postby TorreDelAguila » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:17 am

Even on this forum, subject-matter of posts written or read can rapidly throw up top-bar and bottom-bar ads closely linked to the text. No reason to assume voice-driven devices won't be similarly passing the data back.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 am

Am using ABP so never ever get a top or bottom bar advert. A.com itself is not a secure site yet I feel confident that my data here is not being used or compromised.
I So Bella tis you

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:31 pm

I know I am pulling my tinfoil hat on, but I hate it when an imperfect but decent regulation like GDPR is deliberately sidestepped. Rakuten have been "temporarily unavailable" for four months whenever I use the DAA and EDAA websites to opt out. Their own website has an email link to request opting out, which I used. They have just replied, telling me... to use the DAA and EDAA websites. I anticipated this, and have asked DAA to confirm if they and three other worst offenders ever acknowledge an opt out. I agree, I should get a life, but their odious mission statement rankles nearly as much as their activity.
Talking of AdBlock, I noticed that "self destroying cookie" type software has recently dwindled or is not supported by browser updates. Wonder why so?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 am

It seems that Apple music is going to be available on the Amazon platform in a couple of weeks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:42 pm

17th December has been quoted. Really good news for me (with an Apple Music sub) as I like the Echo and won’t pay for the Apple Home Pod until the price comes down.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:51 pm

I bought a smart plug for 12 euros for the Christmas tree lights. It's so nice not having to bend down to switch on the lights with my bad back. I just say 'Alexa switch on Christmas lights' and on they come

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Mark, I think you have a UK sourced Firestick 4K. I note that on the Amazon UK site they say there are limitations to its functions outside the UK. The basic one is sold in Spain so clearly there are no basic problems. I am guessing that it refers to the speech controls, presumably as they haven’t upgraded it to understand Spanish commands. From your experience with it, have you noticed any limitations?

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Sid had my 4k firestick for a few weeks now U.K version and not noticed any limitations to its functions. Maybe they mean that as the U.K specific 4k stick comes preloaded with bbc iplayer ITV hub etc that these U.K specific apps wont work outside the U.K. if you just plug n play. As to language no idea as I just talk to it in English lol.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 pm

I agree, No problems with the voice control, not that I use it much. Asked it to play radio 2 and it worked.
In the app on your phone or computer you can set your address to ask it directions and the weather.all working in English.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for that. Mine arrives, via UK friends, on Xmas eve. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the new NowTv stick.

Sid

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Sid
A little tip if relevant to where your router is situated. The first week I had the 4K Firestick I experimented with connectivity. For three days used it via WIFI and then for 3 days hardwired with a Cat 7 cable. The result was I found that hard wired was quicker to load and picked up the full 2160p streams instantly whereas via Wifi it took 10 ish seconds .....it would start at 1080p immediately then 10ish seconds later would latch on to the full 2160p (this was tested on Bosch in 4K on Amazon and similarly with a few titles via Netflix App. Not a lot in it but definitely quicker hardwired. You'll love the new remote.
Note: You have to order Ethernet Adaptor extra, doesn't come included

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I decided to buy one too.Amazon will send it Spain and It’s on its way.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am

I have just set my new echo dot Gen 3 up in Spain. Brilliant bit of tech.